Author Topic: Non targetable subsystems... already implemented?  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Non targetable subsystems... already implemented?
I just did some testing - I should have thought of this before. V put all sorts of non targettable subsystems into their models - they just put " (hidden)" after the subsystem name, and it's non targettable in FS2. So, could this be applied to create destroyable non targettables?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I'm not sure what this "hidden" is about, but Bobboau did something like that for us, and it should be already in CVS. I assume this "hidden" doesn't work anymore, otherwise you wouldn't have posted this :)

For Bob's method, just model the subsystems as usual, then give the submodel (in this example "fighter01") in the pof-file the following entry :

$special=subsystem
$nontargetable

In the ships.tbl do the following entry :

$Subsystem:                fighter01,  1, 0.0
+non-targetable

This creates in this example a parked fighter on a flight-deck, which can be destroyed, but not targeted.

I have to admit, the pof-data entry was from the time Bob developed that, the table-entry came later. I'm currently not 100% sure, the "$nontargetable" in the pof-data is still necessary.

Starman©
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 01:22:50 pm by 1072 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Ah. I didn;t realize it had already been done, I thought it was still going to be done. Ah well - perhaps a bit of duplication of effort there, but not to worry.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Non targetable subsystems... already implemented?
Originally posted by Black Wolf
I just did some testing - I should have thought of this before. V put all sorts of non targettable subsystems into their models - they just put " (hidden)" after the subsystem name, and it's non targettable in FS2. So, could this be applied to create destroyable non targettables?

I know that they are there but AFAIK none of them are ever refered to in one of the table files.

The fact that many of them have names like path49 etc. make it look more like they were converter errors more than anything. What happens if you reference one of them in a table? Odds are that it appears and becomes targetable.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The :v: ones are split points, not subsystems.  They're where the ship comes apart during an explosion.

But yes, Bobboau has added nontargetable conventional subsystems.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Goober5000
The :v: ones are split points, not subsystems.  They're where the ship comes apart during an explosion.

But yes, Bobboau has added nontargetable conventional subsystems.

That's what I though when I saw BW's post but not want to ever be seen as wrong I opened up a few models in modelview and soon saw what he was talking about.

A few examples.

Hecate >> Path45
Iceni >>Path29

The moloch has 3 of them all called pathxx.

All these models have split subsystems in addition to these ones. I was under the impression that you could only have 3 split subsystems anyway but the lucifer for instance has 2 subsytems called split01 and split02 and also two more hiddens called baddaboom01-01 and baddaboom02-01.

Does the 4th one not count? Am I wrong and you can have four? The colossus has 6 (3 are called engine something though).

All in all there's something weird going on there cause at best these are split points with weird names.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Um, as I recall, all that is needed to make a subsystem untargettable is simply not to name it in the table entry.

The only hitch comes with turrets, since not naming it also means you can't specify a loadout for it.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
Um, as I recall, all that is needed to make a subsystem untargettable is simply not to name it in the table entry.

That also makes them undestroyable though since you can't assign a hull percentage to them. :)

Offline -Norbert-

Is it possible to have debris for subsystems?
For example: If you shoot away a Faustus' Solar Panel they don't just disapear, but fly out into space.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by -Norbert-
Is it possible to have debris for subsystems?
For example: If you shoot away a Faustus' Solar Panel they don't just disapear, but fly out into space.

That was in retail. Since I never modelled all I know is you have to make another subsystem model with the -destroyed added to its name....kara's FAQ may contain the proper method.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan