Author Topic: Question about: Vasuda  (Read 3741 times)

Offline LeGuille

• Formerly known as Rejindo
  • I made a box for you! Now, think outside of it.
Question about: Vasuda
I was doing some research on constellations, systems, and currently known plaents and stars... when I came up with Andromeda...And I have to ask myself, with the position of [Upsilon] Andromedae from Sol, It appears to me that Vasuda is [Upsilon] Andromeda under another name...Is this in fact true? Because my perfectionist nature is now driving me crazy about the [posibility]

Edit :: spelling, rest marked in []
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 01:02:13 am by 2570 »
4 "Beware of the truth.... Although much sought after, truth can be dangerous to the seeker." -- God-Emperor Leto II, God Emperor of Dune

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
Vasuda is a star system.

Andromeda is a galaxy.

Offline LeGuille

Yes, but Andromeda would encompass that area...

If Vasuda is Upsilon Andromedae, then I may have issues with my story.
4 "Beware of the truth.... Although much sought after, truth can be dangerous to the seeker." -- God-Emperor Leto II, God Emperor of Dune

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Annorax
Vasuda is a star system.

Andromeda is a galaxy.

Actually, Andromeda is a constellation of stars.  One large and relatively close spiral galaxy within the vector of this constellation is refered to as the "Andromeda Galaxy", also as M31.  All stars in the constellation of Andromeda would include "Andromeda" or something like it in their name.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline LeGuille

I was figuring Upsilon Andromedae's second largest planet was Vasuda prime... So I'm a little confused here, because Andromeda is the closest constellation next to NGC 235(205?) if I remember right...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I've always suspected that "Vasudan" Was just a corruption of natural vasudan speech - if you say it gutterally enough, it comes out something like the untranslated speech we hear - close enough anyway. Any existing star system could have been renamed Vasuda because it was home to a species calling themselves "Vasudan".
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Rejindo
I was figuring Upsilon Andromedae's second largest planet was Vasuda prime... So I'm a little confused here, because Andromeda is the closest constellation next to NGC 235(205?) if I remember right...

Physical distance matters little in the Freespace universe. Notice the locations of Sirius, Regulus and Polaris for instance. Polaris is several hundred LY away from Sirius
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Has anyone ever bothered to check if what we're seeing is a top-down map? Hmm...*fires up his copy of The Sky*
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Online Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Black Wolf
I've always suspected that "Vasudan" Was just a corruption of natural vasudan speech - if you say it gutterally enough, it comes out something like the untranslated speech we hear - close enough anyway. Any existing star system could have been renamed Vasuda because it was home to a species calling themselves "Vasudan".
That's the position I've always held. :nod:

Offline LeGuille

So, it's possible. The reason I ask is because none of Andromeda's stars are listed on any :v: map..

I also looked at it again, and Sol is closer to Sirius then it is Vasuda... So my storyline may yet be saved..;)

Offline LeGuille

Okay... to save space, I decided to just repost in here: it's still about Andromeda and the reason i haven't made a single bit of progress in my campaign... I have, if you noticed, changed my campaign's theme quite a bit... over and over.. and i haven't really gotten past anything because of one thing:

Andromeda is the closest galaxy next to the Milky Way. But where does the Milky Way end? I haven't been able to find anything, the reason I've changed now to the Reconstruction period for my story.

I've decided to make it start in the Regulus system, and they travel to Mintaka, and then Kaus Borealis. I was under the impression that Kau Borealis was the edge of the Milky Way, and is where Andromeda begins. But now I'm so dang confused.. I'm just so tired of researching and changing.. I'd really like some sources to a star chart or map or something to tell me where Andreomda is relative to  Sol or any other star...

please help me...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies are only going to begin merging in about 3 billion years time. According to wikipedia they are appraching at 140 kilometres per second so I'd imagine there's a fair seperation between the two at the moment. :D

(It's 2.9 million LY away from Sol incidetally).

To be honest I suggest you ignore physical distances and just do whatever your storyline suggests unless you've also got some kind of non-subspace based interstellar travel in it. It's pretty obvious from the node map that real life distances have no effect on the likelyhood of two stars having a jump point connecting them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
"ships move at the speed of plot" and all that :D

Offline LeGuille

my confidence is once again spurred to begin on the plot again. Thank you.. I was reminded by karajorma, thankfully...that real-time distance has no meaning...and aldo, you're absolutely right :biggrin:

The reason was this: If I say "we're moving into unexplored space outside the milky way"..it has multiple meanings. Stupid perfectionistism is always stumping me up. Thinking too hard again, as usual.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Rejindo
my confidence is once again spurred to begin on the plot again. Thank you.. I was reminded by karajorma, thankfully...that real-time distance has no meaning...and aldo, you're absolutely right :biggrin:

Of course I am.  I'm always right when I steal other peoples quotes*.

:nervous:  :D

*It's a response from the bloke that wrote Babylon 5 when asked about the speed of a Starfury, incidentally.

Offline l_MiG_l

• http://www.escuadron201.tk
Well where Vasuda is i think is easy to know or at least have an aproximation, in that zone we have: Regulus, Sirius, Alpha Centauri, Beta Aquilae, Antares and then Vasuda. Accord to the Celestia Astronomical Software the distance between the star and Sol are:
* Sirius 8.062 ly
* Alpha Centauri 4.224 ly
*(Alshain) Beta aquilae 44.709 ly
*Antares 604.14 ly
*Regulus 77.496 ly

Well after that in this map:

We can see Vasuda is "between" Sol and Regulus so we can see the nearest stars in that direction and some of the best options are:

*(Zosma) Delta Leo 55.711 ly
*(Ukdah) TAU1 Hya 55.777 ly
*(Zavijava) Beta Virgo 35.557 ly
*10 UMa (HD 76943) 53.595 ly

And in direction to Vega:
*Mu Hercules 27.398 ly
*HD 126660 47.527 ly
*Theta Draconis 68.251 ly
*Theta Cygnus 60.648 ly
*Beta Comma Berenices 29.863 ly
*Alpha Comma Berenices 46.725 ly
*Zeta Hercules 35.213 ly
*Sigma Bootes 50.446 ly

Of this stars neither have planets or discovered planets at this time.

And the latest thing, here is a list of stars with planets in the nearest 60 ly:
*Epsilon Eridani 10.494 ly
*61 Cygni A 11.358 ly
*Gliese 876 15.332 ly
*Gliese 86 35.594 ly
*Rho Cancer 40.875 ly
*Upsilon Andromeda 43.926 ly
*47 UMa 45.916 ly
*Mu Ara 49.827
*51 Pegasi 50.1 ly
*Tau Bootes 50.871 ly
*HR 810 56.234 ly
*Rho Corona Borealis 56.845 ly
*GJ 3021 57.464 ly
*70 Virgo 59.070 ly
*Gliese 614 59.816 ly
*HD 39091 59.389 ly
*HD 27442 59475 ly

So now you can conclude what is your better option :D, i think is one star near the constellations of Lyra, Leo, Draco, Bootes, Hercules, Ursa Major or Corona Borealis for the orientation of Vasuda in the cited map ^__^ :D
Previously knowed MiG

201st "Aztec Eagles" GTVA

"What do you feel first in the battle Phobos or Deimos"

Online Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Except system locations on the node map have no bearing on their real-life locations.

The most commonly accepted system for Vasuda, out of the few suggested, is Beta Hydri.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Wasn't it figured that Vasuda was Beta Hydrie?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline LeGuille

so, what systems are contained in the Milky Way, then?

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
All of them. Yes, that includes all of the systems added in Warzone.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock