Author Topic: Eragon  (Read 619 times)

Offline Windrunner

• The Hammer.
I have just come accross this book. Has anyone of you read it? A 15  year old kid has written it, thats pretty impressive
Staffmember: Hard Light Productions
I said a lot of things.  Some of them were even true. - Aldo_14

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Hes a very rich 15 year old now. It's a so-so book.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
He started it when he was 15. It got published when he was 19.

I thought it was pretty bad. Poor writing style, ridiculously cliched story to the point of silliness, blatantly rips tons of things off other books... frankly I'm surprised it got published, and just confused at its popularity.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
It got popular because OMG!!!1221221 Look! A teenager actually wrote a book and got it published!!!

Personally, I have seen much better work done in fanfics.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hype.....

Hype caused Titanic the (so -so) move to become a uber-hit.
Hype caused the Harry Potter mania.

And now this...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Was this the one whose mother started the publishing company just to publish the kid's books, which were sci-fi in nature?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
No, that was some book called The Human Equation I think. And IIRC the publishing company wasn't started just to publish the kid's books, it was already running.

Just looked it up though, Eragon was self published. Which explains a lot.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Eragon is was a fun audiobook. I'd not put it near the top of my list of greatest fantasy ever, but it fits comfortably in the middle. It is rather cliched, but its also got its orginal bits, and--if you don't take it too seriously--its a good ride. Keep in mind that its main audience is young adults, not adults.

On the other hand, His Dark Materials was written for young adults, but its up near the top of my list for enjoyable, original, non-cliched, create fantasy. *heh*
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
"In 2002, Eragon was released by Paolini International, LLC, his parents' publishing company. He then toured 130 western schools, discussing reading and writing---all the while dressed in a red swordsman's shirt, black pantaloons, and lace-up boots."

I don't care how good the book is, who does he think is?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 09:23:58 am by 644 »

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill