Author Topic: Mac OS X crash  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Ulf

I've got my desktop set up to rotate the background picture every fifteen minutes.  (I'm an amateur photographer, I've got lots of them)  Every time the background changes, the program crashes.

I'm running under OS X 10.3.9, and I'm using version 3.6.7.

I can send the crash log if it helps.

I've got a couple of minor quirks as well:
1.  It creates an empty server.txt at the top level of my hard drive every time I start.  I'd like to avoid that.
2.  There's no alert box if OpenAL is missing, it just dies silently.  It took me some time to figure out why it just quit.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I can send the crash log if it helps.
Yep, it would.

1.  It creates an empty server.txt at the top level of my hard drive every time I start.  I'd like to avoid that.
We've never been able to figure out why it does that actually, it's nothing intentional in the source code.  It happens just before main() is called so I thought it was a library or something.  It happens on all 3 platforms though so that really hurts that theory.  If you have any ideas we're open to them.  :)

2.  There's no alert box if OpenAL is missing, it just dies silently.  It took me some time to figure out why it just quit.
There isn't a chance to have an alert box with the current code.  This is more of a packaging problem than anything else.  I need to include the OpenAL framework in the APP itself for versions less than 10.4, but that didn't work out too well initially and I haven't had any time to go back and fix the packages.

There is new sound code on the way though and that will handle things properly.  If OpenAL isn't found you'll get a warning box but the game will still be playable, just without sound.

Offline Ulf

Where do I put the crash log?  Here?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Yeah, you should be able to attach it to your post (may have to compress it if over 512k though).  When making a new post just click the "Additional Options..." text below the message area and you can attach it there.

Offline Ulf

Unfortunately the game is conspiring against me by crashing nearly every time I try and start a mission.  :confused:

I'm on training mission #3.  I have the standard install from the 1.4 GB download.  I added mv_core to the top level directory to fix the opening movie, mostly.  (It still dies if I remove mv_core.)

I have the following in my cfg file:
-fps -2d_poof -loadonlyused -nomotiondebris -snd_preload -ballistic_gauge

My system is a 12" Powerbook @ 867Mhz with 640 MB running 10.3.9.

I can't seem to get attachments to work, so for now I've pasted things inline.  In the future I'll set up a HTTP link instead.

This is the debug log:

==========================================================================
DEBUG SPEW: No debug_filter.cfg found, so only general, error, and warning
categories can be shown and no debug_filter.cfg info will be saved.
==========================================================================
Opened /Users/mattera/Library/FS2_Open/data/fs2_open.log OK
REGISTRY: os_config_read_string in /Users/taylor/src/cvs/fs2_open.pre/code/osapi/osregistry_unix.cpp at line 445, thread 1414 - section = "(null)", name = "VideocardFs2open", default value: "(null)"
REGISTRY: os_config_read_string in /Users/taylor/src/cvs/fs2_open.pre/code/osapi/osregistry_unix.cpp at line 445, thread 1414 - section = "(null)", name = "Language", default value: "(null)"
AutoLang: Language auto-detection successful...
Setting language to English
REGISTRY: os_config_read_string in /Users/taylor/src/cvs/fs2_open.pre/code/osapi/osregistry_unix.cpp at line 445, thread 1414 - section = "(null)", name = "Soundcard", default value: "(null)"
soundcard = <nothing>
OpenAL INITED!

Vendor     : Any
Renderer   : Software
Version    : OpenAL 1.2.1
Extensions :
Failed to init speech
REGISTRY: os_config_read_string in /Users/taylor/src/cvs/fs2_open.pre/code/osapi/osregistry_unix.cpp at line 445, thread 1414 - section = "(null)", name = "VideocardFs2open", default value: "(null)"
GR_CPU: Family 0, MMX=No
Initializing opengl graphics device...
Res:640x480x16
Actual SDL Video values = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 16, double-buffer: 1
OPENGL INITED!

Vendor     : NVIDIA Corporation
  Renderer   : NVIDIA GeForce4 MX OpenGL Engine
  Version    : 1.1 NVIDIA-1.3.42
  Extensions :
      GL_ARB_transpose_matrix
      GL_ARB_vertex_program
      GL_ARB_vertex_blend
      GL_ARB_window_pos
      GL_ARB_shader_objects
      GL_ARB_vertex_shader
      GL_ARB_fragment_shader
      GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
      GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint
      GL_EXT_rescale_normal
      GL_EXT_draw_range_elements
      GL_EXT_fog_coord
      GL_APPLE_client_storage
      GL_APPLE_specular_vector
      GL_APPLE_transform_hint
      GL_APPLE_packed_pixels
      GL_APPLE_fence
      GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object
      GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators
      GL_APPLE_element_array
      GL_APPLE_flush_render
      GL_NV_texgen_reflection
      GL_NV_light_max_exponent
      GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip
      GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap
      GL_ARB_imaging
      GL_ARB_point_parameters
      GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar
      GL_ARB_multitexture
      GL_ARB_texture_env_add
      GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
      GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
      GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
      GL_ARB_texture_compression
      GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat
      GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
      GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
      GL_EXT_texture_rectangle
      GL_EXT_texture_env_add
      GL_EXT_blend_color
      GL_EXT_blend_minmax
      GL_EXT_blend_subtract
      GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
      GL_EXT_abgr
      GL_EXT_bgra
      GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
      GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
      GL_EXT_separate_specular_color
      GL_EXT_secondary_color
      GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
      GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422
      GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range
      GL_APPLE_texture_range
      GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer
      GL_NV_register_combiners
      GL_NV_blend_square
      GL_NV_fog_distance
      GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint
      GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3
      GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp
      GL_SGIS_texture_lod

Found extension "GL_EXT_fog_coord", and function "glFogCoordfEXT()".
  Found extension "GL_EXT_fog_coord", and function "glFogCoordPointerEXT()".
  Found extension "GL_ARB_multitexture", and function "glMultiTexCoord2fARB()".
  Found extension "GL_ARB_multitexture", and function "glActiveTextureARB()".
  Found extension "GL_ARB_texture_env_add".
  Found extension "GL_ARB_texture_compression", and function "glCompressedTexImage2D()".
  Found extension "GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc".
  Found extension "GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic".
  Found extension "GL_NV_fog_distance".
  Found extension "GL_EXT_secondary_color", and function "glSecondaryColor3fvEXT()".
  Found extension "GL_EXT_secondary_color", and function "glSecondaryColor3ubvEXT()".
  Found extension "GL_ARB_texture_env_combine".
  Unable to find extension "GL_EXT_texture_env_combine".
  Found extension "GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array", and function "glLockArraysEXT()".
  Found extension "GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array", and function "glUnlockArraysEXT()".
  Found extension "GL_ARB_transpose_matrix", and function "glLoadTransposeMatrixfARB()".
  Found extension "GL_ARB_transpose_matrix", and function "glMultTransposeMatrixfARB()".
  Found extension "GL_ARB_multitexture", and function "glClientActiveTextureARB()".
  Found extension "GL_EXT_draw_range_elements", and function "glDrawRangeElements()".
  Found extension "GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat".
  Unable to find extension "GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two".
  Found extension "GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object", and function "glBindBufferARB()".
  Found extension "GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object", and function "glDeleteBuffersARB()".
  Found extension "GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object", and function "glGenBuffersARB()".
  Found extension "GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object", and function "glBufferDataARB()".

Max texture units: 2
  Max elements vertices: 2048
  Max elements indices: 150000
  Max texture size: 2048x2048
  Texture compression enabled: YES

This is the crash log:

Host Name:      LuigiPBLaptop.local
Date/Time:      2006-01-18 09:56:02 -0500
OS Version:     10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
Report Version: 2

Command: FS2_Open
Path:    /Games/FreeSpace 2/FS2_Open-debug.app/Contents/MacOS/FS2_Open
Version: FS2_Open version 3.6.7 (3.6.7)
PID:     1414
Thread:  0

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x0f622808

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   <<00000000>>    0x05429e60 0 + 0x5429e60
1   GLEngine                     0x0856fd24 0x851a000 + 0x55d24
2   ???                          0x000a0a90 gr_opengl_render_buffer(int, int, short*) + 0x6ec (gropengltnl.cpp:546)
3   ???                          0x00155a70 stars_draw_bitmaps(int, int) + 0x678 (starfield.cpp:1460)
4   ???                          0x00157b98 stars_draw(int, int, int, int, int) + 0x27c (starfield.cpp:2224)
5   ???                          0x0000e534 game_render_frame(vec3d*, matrix*) + 0x158 (freespace.cpp:5018)
6   ???                          0x00010190 game_frame(int) + 0x48c (freespace.cpp:5830)
7   ???                          0x0001148c game_do_frame() + 0x174 (freespace.cpp:6244)
8   ???                          0x00014824 game_do_state(int) + 0x214 (freespace.cpp:8079)
9   ???                          0x000a2d20 gameseq_process_events() + 0x154 (gamesequence.cpp:658)
10  ???                          0x00015494 WinMainSub(int, char**) + 0x184 (freespace.cpp:8713)
11  ???                          0x00015528 SDL_main + 0x60 (freespace.cpp:8780)
12  ???                          0x00003a5c -[SDLMain applicationDidFinishLaunching:] + 0x74 (SDLMain.m:196)
13  com.apple.Foundation         0x90a27aec _nsnote_callback + 0xb0
14  com.apple.CoreFoundation     0x901da4a8 __CFXNotificationPost + 0x1b4
15  com.apple.CoreFoundation     0x901deeb8 _CFXNotificationPostNotification + 0x340
16  com.apple.Foundation         0x90a25938 -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:userInfo:] + 0x74
17  <<00000000>>    0x92f93380 0 + 0x92f93380
18  <<00000000>>    0x92f9326c 0 + 0x92f9326c
19  <<00000000>>    0x92f9349c 0 + 0x92f9349c
20  com.apple.Foundation         0x90a7af70 -[NSAppleEventManager dispatchRawAppleEvent:withRawReply:handlerRefCon:] + 0x164
21  com.apple.Foundation         0x90a81808 _NSAppleEventManagerGenericHandler + 0x78
22  com.apple.AE                 0x916f4a10 aeDispatchAppleEvent(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*, unsigned long, unsigned char*) + 0xd0
23  com.apple.AE                 0x916f7858 dispatchEventAndSendReply(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*) + 0x2c
24  com.apple.AE                 0x916f4c50 aeProcessAppleEvent + 0x11c
25  <<00000000>>    0x92975224 0 + 0x92975224
26  <<00000000>>    0x92e82484 0 + 0x92e82484
27  <<00000000>>    0x92e98d2c 0 + 0x92e98d2c
28  <<00000000>>    0x92ead0ac 0 + 0x92ead0ac
29  ???                          0x000039b4 CustomApplicationMain + 0x118 (SDLMain.m:176)
30  ???                          0x00003d60 main + 0x170 (SDLMain.m:278)
31  ???                          0x00002c34 _start + 0x158 (crt.c:272)
32  ???                          0x00002ad8 start + 0x3c

edited by taylor: removed some of the debug info that wasn't needed for the problem so this thread doesn't get really long :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 09:41:49 am by taylor »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
That's a problem that should be fixed now, but that won't really help you with 3.6.7.  There has been a couple of post-3.6.7 builds but those are for 10.4+ only so they probably wouldn't work for you.  Generally the MX cards aren't supported, but I'm pretty sure that the GeForce4MX works under OS X at least, I made a change to the required GL version specifically to allow it to be used.  Of course that was all tested by someone who was using 10.4 so it may have been a OpenGL driver fix that makes the real difference.

I'm not sure what else to tell you unfortunately.  Moving to Tiger may help with 3.6.7, and it will be required but all future CVS builds anyway.  Future release builds should have a 10.3+ version available though.  If you have to wait for 3.6.8 for the fix though, you'll be waiting a while.

Offline Ulf

I'll probably be waiting anyway as I don't want to be playing the game without my HOTAS.   :)

I haven't gotten Tiger yet because I'm planning on buying a new Mac in the near future.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Morslok

Hello all,

My brother is currently having problems playing FS2_Open on his 15" Powerbook G4 that I will try to explain here.  I can't get a crashlog right now, but I can describe the problem.

As you may have guessed, since I am posting this in a thread with the title Mac OS X crash, my brothers game keeps crashing.  It usually happens when he tries to load a level or a certain pilot.  He can view the briefing screen fine, and he sees the main screen and whatnot, but if he tries to enter a mission he has got about a 50/50 chance of the program closing.  Also, his pilot file, which as far as I know worked fine for a while (except for the above mentioned crashes) no longer even loads.  When he tries, the program quits.  I've tried everything I could find by googling for his problem, installing Open AL (he has 10.3.something), downloading an sdl file,  renaming all his .vp and .mve files to their lowercase versions, downloading and installing mv_core.vp.  Nothing I do or can find seems to want to work.  Any help would be appreciated, and if you need more info, I'lll get a crash log from him and post it here as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Morslok

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What happens if he runs with no media VPs at all? Just the standard FS2 ones?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
If there are debug builds for OSX, what happens if he uses one of those instead? It might pop up an error message or something.
-C

Offline Morslok

He got the files from Mac Game Files I think.  He tried using the normal .vp files that came with it and he tried using that mv_core.vp file from the SCP website like I said before.  Same problems with all files.  I don't think he has tried the debug program since he installed openal.

I'm on Eastern Standard Time (-5:00 GMT), so I'll be back sometime after 5:00PM EST and I will have gotten him to run the debug program.  There is a popup after the normal version quits, but it's just a generic send bug report to mac thing.

I'll get back at you soon.

-Morslok

Offline Morslok

Okay, I got him to run the debug executable, and when it starts up, it exits right away with an error message that reads;
The operation could not be completed.  An unexpected error occured (error code -10810).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 12:11:47 pm by Morslok »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The operation could not be completed.  An unexpected error occured (error code -10810).

Whenever I see those I always wonder just who puts expected errors in production code :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Morslok

So, no ideas?

Offline Frankie

I was told the best place to submit crash reports is http://lore.maxgaming.net/~scp/mantis/bug_report_page.php