Author Topic: Windows XP going Semi-Aero by itself - WTF?  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Windows XP going Semi-Aero by itself - WTF?
You just read what this thread is about. :lol:

To be more accurate, my Windows XP Home SP 2 Finnish edition started behaving... strangely... one day not long past, perhaps two days ago. It randomly makes the Task management bar on the lower edge of the desktop) semi-transparent, for reason(s) unknown to me. I have no idea why it's doing this, but so far it hasn't affected any programs and everything works as it should.

The Start menu looks completely normal. The only weird thing is just that, something alters the opacity of the task management bar itself. And I'd like to have a clue what is causing it. Because quite frankly it actually looks better now than ever; sad thing is that it doesn't last. Seemingly random events trigger *something* and it reverts back to completely opacue, normal non-transparent state. :nervous: :shaking:

Anyway, this is what it looks like... Click for full resolution.

Anyone have similar experiences? Anyone know what causes this kind of thing?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Windows XP going Semi-Aero by itself - WTF?
are you running nview by chance?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Well I'll be damned.

It appears that latest NVidia driver version's installer had decided that I'd be better off with NView enabled... :nervous:

That seems to be the reason. Thanks for the tip, I was more than little interested in finding out why it was doing this. ;)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Wo0T another CDex user :D

Its unappreciated in so many places.......
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
is it just me or does anyone totally ****ing hate the new nvidia drivers? the 91.31 or whatever version has pissed me off in a great many ways. not only does the new interface suck, but the classic mode is for legacy support only and will no longer be updated. but theres a popup every time i boot that tells me i dont have sli, and then if i click on it it tries to sell me an sli setup. beyond that its really making truespace act totally wierd. d3d causes alot of problems and opengl mode is worse. mainly all kinds of graphical drawing issues. i hope its not comprimising my model integrety. i think nvidia's reputation for good drivers is over with this new crap theyve released. i might buy ati next time because of this thing alone. but with them getting bought out im not sure. i was planning to buy an ultra high in video card in a couple months. if they dont fix theese damn things, they aint getting my money.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
Wo0T another CDex user :D

Its unappreciated in so many places.......

I'm a longtime user of CDEX myself  8)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I cant abide NView, its a bag of ploppy pants, I've switched to ATI lately anyway.
RE: CDex, Its the bestest ever proggy :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
is it just me or does anyone totally ****ing hate the new nvidia drivers? the 91.31 or whatever version has pissed me off in a great many ways. not only does the new interface suck, but the classic mode is for legacy support only and will no longer be updated. but theres a popup every time i boot that tells me i dont have sli, and then if i click on it it tries to sell me an sli setup. beyond that its really making truespace act totally wierd. d3d causes alot of problems and opengl mode is worse. mainly all kinds of graphical drawing issues. i hope its not comprimising my model integrety. i think nvidia's reputation for good drivers is over with this new crap theyve released. i might buy ati next time because of this thing alone. but with them getting bought out im not sure. i was planning to buy an ultra high in video card in a couple months. if they dont fix theese damn things, they aint getting my money.

Yeah, that SLI crap pisses me off too.

And... what should be wrong with CDex? It's great piece of freeware. Makes high quality files IMO. At least they are good enough for my speaker systems and integrated sound card... :D

It's not that I wouldn't accept an SLI setup if it fell from sky, but the fact is that I don't even have an SLI-compatible mobo at the moment... :rolleyes:

And of course there's the fact that the installer enabled NView by itself. Programs enabling new features without announcing what they do is not good think IMO.

The drivers themselves seem to be working well enough, though. I haven't had any graphics issues (other than unasked semi-aero-behaviour thingamaroo), and I suppose NVidia's open source support still beats ATi into a bloody pulp any day...

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
screw it, for once im downgrading my video drivers, something i havent done sence i owned a banshee card!

**** YOU NVIDIA!

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
that things an annoyance, but i downgraded mainly because it was making truespace's renderer freak out. making modeling a pita. i dropped th the 80 series and it seems to be working good again. i dont know what they did, but theyre new drivers are just crap, and to make matters worse theyre not updating them as frequently. i wont go back to the 90 series untill theyre more stable.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

nVidia are getting rid of the 'classic' config interface? Are they really that stupid?

Can anyone say 'Catalyst Control Centre'?

I really hate the way interfaces are going these days. Pretty colours and smooth 3D curves are being confused with 'good design'. Those ****ing idiots in Marketing and Design need a swift kick in the nuts.

As for the SLI thing... I reckon that's meant to encourage adoption of SLI. Someone ask nVidia Support how to disable that pop-up; I'll bet they'll say something like 'install a second graphics card'. ****ers.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker