Author Topic: What does it take to make a webcomic?  (Read 5021 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Re: What does it take to make a webcomic?
on a side note, one of the hardest things to develop with a webcomic (aside from a website  :P ) is a fanbase, mine's easy , people seem to love it, and note, there is no such thing as bad publicity on the internet, if your URL is out there, even in a negative light, it's free advertising.  ;)

Hardest thing to develope with any art form is a fanbase. I, personally, have about 50 people looking at my work, that I am aware of atleast. It's not much, but it makes me happy.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Pyro MX

• Frenadian
    • Pyro MX's Art
I don't know how many ppl watch my work... I do know tho that there's not many. Since my website isn't updated often it doesn't help. (Scanner still down)

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
I used to co-author a webcomic.

1) How much time in general does it take (like umm in a week)?
We tended to take as much as it took to do the strip, sometimes ten minutes, sometimes three hours. It depends what you're doing and how many times you feel you need to redo it. Heh.

2) Do you have your whole story written from beginning to end?
We worked on a per-gag per-strip basis with small pockets of ongoing story.
If your comic does have a difinitive end, then it would be a good idea to at least have SOME small inclination of how it will turn out at the end, it will help to not drive your comic into a hole and give it some direction.

3) What equipment do you use (like scanners, I dunno...)?
We did from-scratch pixel art done in Graphics Gale.

4) Is there a specific page format?
No.

5) How many strips must be prepared before launching a comic?
However many you feel.

6) Have you ever followed a drawing / comic class?
Nope.

7) Does it permanently make your stress-o-meter go up?
If you let it.

Some of these questions are quite worrying. You should only ever, ever do a webcomic if you enjoy it. You should do it how you want to, when you want to. It's your comic and relying on other people is no way to do things.
Sitting up one day and thinking "Damn I'ld like to do a webcomic. I wonder how everyone else does it." Is not a very good train of thought, if you want to tell a story and feel like the only suitable way to do it is through the medium of webcomic, then that's the best way. Don't follow anyone else, follow yourself.

For instance, we created three brilliant characters for something completely different, we fleshed them out and thought of some pretty cool stuff they could do, we found them funny and enjoyable and wanted to share them with the world. At first we were doing a single Flash video, but eventually we decided a webcomic instead.

As for fanbase, we had about three, haha. We went on because we liked doing it and only stopped because we felt the well of fun had run dry, ideas were few and far between. You can be sure that doing a story-based comic is much easier to write than a pure gag-based one.

Offline Pyro MX

• Frenadian
    • Pyro MX's Art
Well, I never done any comic before. I'm thinking a lot about wether I should do it or not for many reasons, and it's not because I wouldn't like to do a webcomic.

A) I have a whole story written. From the beginning to end. I started translating it a while ago, and the feedback was close to none (from what I remember). Maybe it's because the story wasn't good or that is was badly translated, or maybe I didn't post enough of it (because I didn't post it completely), I don't know.

B) I do draw, and I think I am going well. But I didn't show my most recents works now.

C) <The biggest point here. What time I have to do one.  That I am not very sure. Lots of projects at school and some personnal.

I don't really want to "follow" a particullar method of working, but tips from good artists are always helpful.

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
You have a website?
Dude, link to it in your sig. ;)

Look at any comic strip, go back to the first one they posted, and compare to the latest one. After a few months of doing it, skills grow and get better as you learn better techniques, grow acustomed to old ones. :)
Like they say practice makes perfect... or was it perfect practice makes perfect. :p

Keep at it! :D
:yes:

Offline Pyro MX

• Frenadian
    • Pyro MX's Art
I do have a website, but it's been a while since I updated it (when you're out of scanner, it's tough to update your works...) and it's being redesigned too. Se here's the links.

http://pmxa.spouing.com
http://pmxa.spouing.com/test.html (New interface test page. Not definitive, just a test)

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
:lol:
I can't read it! :p

Offline Pyro MX

• Frenadian
    • Pyro MX's Art
Umm unless my english is un-readable, my website is written like this: French parapgraph, then the english paragraph :nervous:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 05:37:02 pm by Pyro MX »

Offline Nuclear1

Fench

Well no wonder he can't read it. :p
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Pyro MX

• Frenadian
    • Pyro MX's Art
*sigh*

Fixed lol  :lol:

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
:lol:
I just realised I didn't read the 2nd paragraphs... :p

I was pretty tired at the time though. :p LoLs.