Author Topic: Randomly Changing IP Address  (Read 1048 times)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
Randomly Changing IP Address
Well, it turns out my global IP changes totally at random.  It's almost like I have two IPs leased to me and I'm switching between them.  One being in the 12.*.*.* and one being in the 65.*.*.* range.  I'm having trouble using some services this way and my ISP is basically ignoring me.

Any suggestions?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline watsisname

Re: Randomly Changing IP Address
How often (roughly) does it change?
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
How often (roughly) does it change?

It can change with a simple refresh of a page.  It changes every few seconds it seems.
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
A) how are you determineing this? and
B) why is it a problem?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
A) how are you determineing this? and
B) why is it a problem?

A.)  Ipchicken, forum posts, and some other site I can't remember.
B.)  When hosting a game server or trying to play a game that has a system that checks your ip constantly, I get wonderful problems such as "IP Address Mismatch" errors and such.

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
If these are IP addresses issued to you by your ISP, then they are the only ones who can fix this problem.  Something tells me though that the lease time for the IP Address is set to expire almost immediately, which is very strange indeed.  Usually a lease can be either one day or one week, for me my lease on my IP address is set to expire after 4 days.  Put simply, if you only want one IP address, they have to go into thier tables and fix this problem.  Call them up if you have to, because dealing with issues like this via email is damn near impossible. 

If you're using XP, you can use ipconfig/all to view your lease length.  be sure to run the command prompt first, then type in the command, otherwise it will close so fast you won't see it. 

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
Oh, with ipconfig it always indicates I'm using one IP address.  Only when I use some external source does it report two different ones at times.

It usually says my IP should be leased for a day.  It's also always in the 12.*.*.* range.

Formerly known as Swantz

If ipconfig is giving you a different IP than what a forum (external source) IP then it sounds like your ISP is doing some NATing.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

So your IP is not actually changing. The problem is likely that it's not doing NAT correctly, or the web services you're using are checking your IP in strange ways.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
I like where I live. I don't want to move.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.