Author Topic: Running FS1 in hires, without a port!  (Read 2354 times)

Offline z1x

Running FS1 in hires, without a port!
Well i just found out about this, so i posted it, so anyone wanting to play FS1 in hires like i did,
can get a crack at it too. The solution was quite simple!

Yups, that's right, i just found a way to run FS1 in 1600x1200 without using a port of any kind.
I was really anoyed that i could not play this great game in hires straight from the box,
but then trying to play another game (battle isle Incubation) in hires, i found the solution!
There is an emulator out there called dgVoodoo by DEGE.

"dgVoodoo is a Glide Wrapper that implements Glide 2.11 and Glide 2.43 using
DirectDraw7 and Direct3D7.
dgVoodoo provides support to run Windows-based and DOS-based applications using
Glide, and it can also emulate VESA 2.0 for DOS applications."

Now running FS1 in Glide and setting the dgvoodoo to any resolution your system is able to use,
you can enjoy Freespace 1 streight from the box with hires graphics ingame, and no fuzz. OH JOY!

-z1x

here is a screenshot:
http://troldmosehus.dk/z1x/FS1.JPG
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 03:23:01 am by z1x »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Running FS1 in hires, without a port!
Very cool :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Indeed, that's a great tip! (And a big screen shot too, it shows me how small my 1024x768 monitor is :eek2:.)

Here's the same image, but in a thumbnail using a link conveniently generated by the fantastic xs.to:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 03:10:37 am by Huggybaby »

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
OMG, I want that HUD.
lol

Thats a huge screenie, if I wasn't hooked up to my hard-line it'd take forever to load that monster.
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline z1x

Sorry about the large screenshot, I made it into a link, speeding things up.
And yeah, that HUD is huge.. lol
I haven't had time to try this trick out on FS2 yet, but i bet it'll work the same way but the HUD might be smaller if i set the resolution in the FS2 setup to 1024x768, and then boost the res in dgVoodoo.
Oh yeah, dgVoodoo also boost the graphics to 32bit. ;) 

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Sorry about the large screenshot, I made it into a link, speeding things up.
Don't apologise, it's a sign of weakness.

Back ot: That's just plain ****ing awesome. :yes:

So this makes it possible to play old crappy ugly FS ... in really high res?  Who cares?  It still looks awful.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
So this makes it possible to play old crappy ugly FS ... in really high res?  Who cares?  It still looks awful.

My thoughts exactly.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline z1x

It may look awful to some, but hey.. playing the game in high res is not a question of it looking great for me, but a question of making the game more playable. Being able to see the ship you are shooting at, is not just a single pixel flickering on the screen, does help me play the game, thus making the gameplay worth even more. But perhaps you have to enjoy Freespace in the first place to see this.
Or it's just a retro-gamer-thing!  ;7

Rock on z1x. You can always upgrade to the SCP version later.  ;)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Well, it does nothing for the low res interface, but the models themselves should look better, assuming you use the reg values to use the large textures...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline maxxus

So awesome...been looking for a way to run original FS in high-res since like 1999 :P

Question though:  The opening cutscene and in-level parts of the game seem to work flawlessly.  However, any interaction with the interface (choosing a pilot, the home screen, mission briefings) all run at about -10x speed. veeerrrry sloooowly.  Did you have this problem and were you able to fix it?  If not, does anybody here have an idea?

Offline maxxus

Found the solution..on the Global tab of dgVoodoo, full screen only bit depth can only be set to 16 bit or the 2D interface lags like hell :(  Unsure if there is a workaround

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
It doesn't look like its in high res to me.  Its just been taken from 640x480 and blown up...thats what it looks like.  The interface is fixed width pixels...so the HUD should be pretty different (and probably out of position) if it was somehow running at a higher resolution.

FreeSpace 1 never had a high-resolution option.  It was 640x480 regardless of Software, Direct3D, or Glide.  The big advantage of Glide was that the textures were sharper and the graphics were just sharper overall.  Probably better filtering than D3D at the time.  When FreeSpace 2 was in development they spent a lot of time making the engine run properly in Direct3D instead of Glide.  If you hacked the registry you could run FS1 in D3D mode with top level textures...they just never programmed it by default to use them as most D3D cards at the time were crap.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
If you hacked the registry you could run FS1 in D3D mode with top level textures...they just never programmed it by default to use them as most D3D cards at the time were crap.

This doesn't actually seem to work in D3D, despite the name of the registry flag. The flag does affect software mode, however, and maybe Glide as well.