Author Topic: Oi call me an idiot but IM GOING INSANE (fixed THANKS!!)  (Read 1612 times)

Offline bahijal74

• BOOM baby!! haha
Oi call me an idiot but IM GOING INSANE (fixed THANKS!!)
Oi i am so frustrated I just wanna get started on how to handle modding table or moduler tables whatever i have got the hang of installing mods using media vps and playing the game. I just want to know what i need to do to start modding im so lost but its like people are saying its so easy to tweak the game im just need some help i have vp mage..but after putting in the main vp i cnat do squat.... it just shows me teh tbls..but i cant edit or access them..i dont wnat to overwrite teh retail vps just try to make my own vp to strat testing..HELP PLEASE im going insane....
seriously..
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 05:26:09 pm by bahijal74 »
All energy to weapons.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Oi call me an idiot but IM GOING INSANE
Ok, uh.

Let's start at the beginning. You don't need to put things into .vp files for it to work; they're similar to .zip or .rar files, just not compressed. You also shouldn't be editing the retail .vps

Second, never put anything in your main data folder unless you want to **** up your installation of FreeSpace. Create a mod folder with your mod's name on it, and select it using the Launcher (which I assume you already know how to do). Within this, create a folder called "data" - This is where the stuff is. Now that we've gotten that straightened out, see this page.

Feel free to ask further questions.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Punctuation is so much fun when done properly.

What do you need to start modding? Well, for starters, bookmarking the modding portal on the FSWiki would be a good idea.
As a reference, its invaluable. It doesn't have much in the way of How-To-guides, but that's what the forum (and its search function) are for.
Then, start using VPMage or maja to extract the files from the retail vps (or better yet, from one of the mods), and take a look at what they did.

But honestly, before going into modding like that, try to learn FRED first. Do a few missions, release them, get feedback, get attention, and then start thinking of doing a project on your own.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline bahijal74

• BOOM baby!! haha
The problme i cnat grasp i sthis..i do all that..how to i create a mod with files i cnat fid..all those files are empty....in teh original data and i just cnat access anything..i wanna just test some coding but no where ha sit. i dont intend to change any main files..just to modify littl ethings...but...
well im lost. i have  afolder..i have teh instalation..but i hav eno files to work with
All energy to weapons.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Correct spelling AND punctuation? The awesomeness would be too much to bear.

Seriously, I have no clue what your problem is, or how it can be fixed.

Try using maja instead.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Oi, I am so frustrated. I just wanna get started on how to handle modding table or moduler tables, whatever. I have got the hang of installing mods using media vps and playing the game. I just want to know what i need to do to start modding. I'm so lost but it's like people are saying it's so easy to tweak the game. I just need some help. I have vp mage.. but after putting in the main vp i cant do squat.... it just shows me the tbls.. but i cant edit or access them.

I dont want to overwrite the retail vps, just try to make my own vp to strat testing.. HELP PLEASE im going insane....
seriously..

Fixed some spelling and formatting for great justice.

VP files are a storage file format that is used to distribute whole mods and whatnot, when they are ready.

Inside the VP's there is a file structure that has a main directory called "data" and it has a bunch of sub-directories containing appropriate file formats. /data/models/ contains model files (*.POF), /data/tables/ contains tables files (*.tbl and *.tbm files), etc. etc.

To begin modding, you do NOT want to make any VP files at all. You do need a program to extract files from existing VP's so that you can open them and edit them. However, you will want to make your own mod directory for your own stuff, so that you can enable or disable it at will.

For example, make a directory called ..\FreeSpace2\bahijal74mod\. Add "data" directory there, and since you want to start with tables, you would want to have "..\FreeSpace2\bahijal74mod\data\tables" directory as well. Anything you make should end up in this mod directory for the time being; when you get the hang of how the file system and mods work, you can do different stuff. But for the time being:

-do NOT put anything in ..\FreeSpace2\data\*\
-do NOT put anything in ..\FreeSpace2\mediavps\data\*\
-do NOT put additional *.VP files in the root ..\FreeSpace2\ directory

...and you should be all right and fine. :)

As to how to edit tables... go to hard light wiki, search the article "modular tables" and read it. Then ask more specific questions on how to edit tables (basically you open notepad and write the table. Using existing tables as reference is recommended...) since there are many types of tables and trying to answer to how to edit all of them is futile. At least in less than a week's time.

Personally, I find the most convenient VP extraction utility to be VPView from Descent Manager tool pack. Use forum search or google to find that, or wait for some kind soul to dig up a link.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 05:16:51 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline bahijal74

• BOOM baby!! haha
My apologies. I really have been losing sleep over it and that solved most of my problem. Any tools you suggest to extract the files? Just so I don't have to look too much further for anything else.

Ahh thanks Herra. Major help trust me!
All energy to weapons.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I use maja for all my vp-editing needs.
VPView was, IIRC, included in the TBP DVD release.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Re: Oi call me an idiot but IM GOING INSANE (fixed THANKS!!)
The tools folder in the scp installation should have all you need to get started.
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Re: Oi call me an idiot but IM GOING INSANE (fixed THANKS!!)
It's like my first posts  :p
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!