Author Topic: Music for a video...  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Music for a video...
Well, I posted this in the Upgrade Video thread as well, but I know how those things tend to vanish in the eyes of posters, done it myself, so please excuse the double pimp, but the more input the better :)

Ok, I'm about half way through a 3 minute piece I'm doing with a mind for making a video, I've got a very quick mixdown of what I've done so far, so it stops pretty abruptly, this will be extended on

http://www.aqsx85.dsl.pipex.com/qmix1-1.mp3

So far I'm kept pretty much to the standard theme, but I'm thinking of pulling something new for the next section, just sort of symbolising the fact that not only have we made old stuff look sweeter, we've moved it into a whole new level.

The mix here isn't perfect, the guitar is a bit loud still for my tastes, but once you've been listening to it for about 50 times in a row like I have, it all sort of blurs into one, making it hard to make decisions about how it sounds.

Any ideas/comments/suggestions?

Re: Music for a video...
I understand what you mean. However, since this is the first time that I have heard this piece...  :yes:

One concern that I have about your piece is that the male vocals (don't know what else to call them), begin very abruptly and caught me completely off guard. Maybe if you could allow the vocals to have a gradual, instead of a sudden, increase in volume the intro will flow much better. The same can be said about how the female vocals decrease in volume (at least the vocal right before the male vocal). It's not a big deal really, but what do you think?

Also, are you going to mix the string instruments back into your piece with the guitar? That might sound good. Other than that, excellent job. I think everything else is fine and flows just right. What kind of visualizations do you get when you hear this song? I understand the intentions of this video, so how do you see your story unfold as you listen to your piece?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 11:31:55 pm by m2258734a »

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: Music for a video...
Thanks :) Yes, I noticed exactly what you mean about the 'Aaaahs', this is always a side effect of mixing stuff on your own, your ears kind of work up an immunity to volumes etc, always good to get other opinions :)

Yup, the general plan is firstly, an introduction to Freespace 2 as made by :V:, that's over the Agnus Dei bit, then as the music starts to take on weight, it'll start to introduce the SCP, probably using fadethroughs from old to new models etc. And then, as the Guitars pick up the double-time, it'll go full SCP with combat etc.

The first guitar part, will probably cover mostly fighter combat, and I'm thinking of something more 'Industrial'ish to cover the Capship combat, and finishing off with a crescendo and possibly a revisit of one final Agnus Dei for an SCP logo. :)

My current update list is :

1: Relative volumes. This will be easier when I'm not doing a 'chunk' mixdown and instead exporting tracks seperately and processing them in Soundforge properly. This will fix a lot of problems, since I can then fade in the loud voices or boost up the quiet ones without affecting any of the other tracks.
3: Intro to guitar section may be extended by 2 beats.
4: Some more 'resonance' to the intro section, something to give a more 'huge' feel to the space scenes.
5: Rescore drums to less echoey ones and change to rhythm to something more 'battle' orientated. May be worth getting out the BSG album here ;)
6: Obviously - finish the tune and video :D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 02:49:46 pm by Flipside »