Author Topic: Multiplayer page  (Read 3868 times)

Offline Shade

The current page on this is, frankly, pathetic, and I want to do something about that. But first, I'd like some input on my current idea.

Right now, I'm considering making it a portal page, since I believe that sooner or later MP is going to be a much more significant part of FS than it currently is, and doing it that way will leave good room for exansion without compromising accessibility. This would also be a very quick and very easy way to get a framework going that looks accessible to a newcomer, as I can just copy the FRED portal, delete the links in the menu bar and at the bottom and replace them with multiplayer oriented ones. Could have it done in 5 minutes, probably. The articles that the links point to would still need to be written, though, as there are currently none on the subject, but even without any it'd probably be better than what's currently there :p

What I need to know is:

A) Is a portal page a good idea, or should I drop it and just make an overview page that gives the basic information?
B) If you think it's a good idea, which articles should it contain?

To give you an idea about B, the basic list I'm working with after a quick brainstorming is below:
Technical stuff
Getting started guide
A list of mods supported by FS2NetD
A troubleshooting page with solutions to the most common problems

Community stuff
A Multiplayer Squadrons category
An online codes of conduct (or whatever it's called) page
Maybe a guide on multiplayer tactics, if anyone can write one (I'm definitely not qualified for that).
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
dont forget the footnote in "supported mods" that says you can use other mods, but its recomended that everyone else your playing with is using the same mod and that using an unsupported mod will result in stats not saving.

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
A) Is a portal page a good idea, or should I drop it and just make an overview page that gives the basic information?

Yes, it is.

B) If you think it's a good idea, which articles should it contain?

To give you an idea about B, the basic list I'm working with after a quick brainstorming is below:
Technical stuff
Getting started guide
A list of mods supported by FS2NetD
A troubleshooting page with solutions to the most common problems

Community stuff
A Multiplayer Squadrons category
An online codes of conduct (or whatever it's called) page
Maybe a guide on multiplayer tactics, if anyone can write one (I'm definitely not qualified for that).

Yes, make sure that MODs like Inferno are supported. Maybe we won't need a "codes of conduct" section. I know nothing about public multiplayer tactics, every squadron will have its own tactics.

dont forget the footnote in "supported mods" that says you can use other mods, but its recomended that everyone else your playing with is using the same mod and that using an unsupported mod will result in stats not saving.

Oh, good point here! This is so far your best post, akenbosch. takenbosch. takenakashi. takashi. Whatever(no offense) :P
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Shade

Well, I'd try to put a fair bit of info on the main page, actually, so stuff like the fact that you can play with any mod as long as you don't care about stats would probably be found there. So, basics on the front page for quick access, and then linked articles for in-depth explanations (such as a getting started guide), things would make the main page cluttered/confusing due to the formatting needed, or things that might eventually grow to a size that would not fit there well (such as the list of supported mods).
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Some of this information would be useful to have in a wiki article. The port forwarding stuff is a bit off topic and can be covered by a link to that page, but the other stuff is FS-specific.

As for multiplayer tactics, each mission has its own standard sequence of actions, which are best picked up by playing with other people and watching what they do. Some general tips like the primary weapon leading might be worth mentioning.

Offline Shade

Yup. There'll be a guide on getting started that covers the less technical parts of that, and a link too. Actually, why am I bothering to post what there'll be? After all, I just finished the page :)

Haven't linked it from the front page yet, and I won't until I've written at the very least the getting started guide, but it's there. And ripe for corrections/additions if anyone feels like writing an article - Doesn't need to be one of the few I've already inserted links to, anything MP related can find a place (or a link) there.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Maybe attach something like this to the 'Getting started guide'.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Very nice, castor!  :yes:

EDIT: Oh, and Shade? 

A toast to you: 

Offline Shade

All I've really done so far is copy/paste and add a bit of basic info. With errors in it, even :p Supernova has already fixed one for me. Not that I mind the bowing and toasting, mind you :D

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
Maybe attach something like this to the 'Getting started guide'.

http://www.joskus.jossain.com/multi.png
]

have multidata selected in that example! its an efficient way to aquire squadron and pilot images! (and it acts a cache for custom images)

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
They will transfer regardless of that setting :nod:

Offline Shade

First half of the Getting Started Guide is up, though there's still a bit of formatting and proofreading to be done. Pretty much as detailed as it can be I think, so even a total newbie should be incapable of messing it up (well almost... one should never underestimate newbies). Will do the in-game setup stuff in a bit once my brain starts working again. Now someone go get me the firewall setup images I need for the port forwarding article :p
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 10:58:22 am by Shade »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Contact karajorma, as he has better instructions than port forwarding... IDK, ask him, I haven't done it yet.

EDIT: Nice job on the page, BTW.  :yes: :nod:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 06:46:16 am by jr2 »

Offline Shade

Almost ready to call the starter guide done, and thereby the portal page ready for the main page. Only need to add info on joining and creating games now, which I'll do as soon as I can grab a screenshot of the game lobby with at least one server running. So I'll be hanging out in IRC for a few hours now, finger on the 'print screen' button, to see if any MP action happens :)

[Edit] And I just got the screenshot, thanks to Supernova.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 07:49:29 pm by Shade »

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
maybe we should note that you dont need to downlaod a new pxo cfg to play btrl, since it comes with one.

and that WCS is not compatible with multiplayer, since it doesent have the proper interace art. (until they release the patch)

Offline Shade

maybe we should note that you dont need to downlaod a new pxo cfg to play btrl, since it comes with one.
Maybe you should read the page, since that info has been there since the first draft ;)

As for whether WCS has the proper art for MP games, have you ever tried entering the multiplayer lobby or creating a game using the prologue? I have, and it simply uses the stock art - Which the Saga team have thoughtfully included in their interface VP. In other words, it works fine.

Anyway, I don't mind. this gives me a good chance to mention that the page is now done without seeming too much of a pimp :p

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
:D Nice! :D