Author Topic: HUD Gauges in Slew Mode?  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
HUD Gauges in Slew Mode?
I'm in the process of enabling HUD gauges and reticles when in Slewed Mode. Right now, when in Slewed Mode, Freespace2 simply renders a red circle towards the vector where the ship is forward oriented. I'm finding the modifications rather straight forward which is making me think that there could be a reason for this. Is there a good reason (game design wise) why HUD gauges shouldn't show up when in Slewed Mode? Otherwise, I'm just going to continue with these modifications.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: HUD Gauges in Slew Mode?
What is Slew Mode?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Kitschy widescreen?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its a flightsimming term for when you disable physics so you can move your aircraft to wherever you want. usefull if youre trying to set up a scenario. in the scope of freespace i think that means dealing with scripted/freded cameras. i think hes using the wrong term though, he means he wants the hud to work when you hold down pad 0 to look around.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
I thought it was a flightsimming term for switching controls to the camera instead of the plane, slewing your head around.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
well it might mean something else in other sims. im mostly familiar with microsoft's crappy simulator line.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Swifty

Yeah, Nuke is right when I'm referring to Pad0. The source code refers to the freelook viewer modes using the flag VM_SLEWED in the variable int Viewer_mode which is why I called it that. Sorry about the confusion.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
The only problem I could see would be HUDs that are supposed to be part of the cockpit, and not a projection on the pilot's helmet.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Swifty

Which elements of the HUD would be considered a cockpit instrument and not a HUD readout? Anything not pertaining to the reticle?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Which elements of the HUD would be considered a cockpit instrument and not a HUD readout? Anything not pertaining to the reticle?

Nothing is currently part of the cockpit. However, there are attempts to do so, and these should be taken into account somehow.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
also consider wether or not better view support is gonna be used in the future, like trackIR or view axes. i really dont like the pad0 feature because it locks up your flight controls while you use it. of course by the time we can have that stuff hopefully rtt will get fixed and we can actually render the hud into the cockpit.

for ships that use a helmet display system, the hud would get projected on the screen no matter what direction you faced. actually you could probibly do that now though a ship flag like "use helmet display". so you can use your hud while looking to the side, up or any other direction. then you can thow in cool **** like side fire mass bombers.

Nuke's Scripting SVN