Author Topic: Ground base missile launchers  (Read 2952 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Ground base missile launchers
Just noticed that there seems to be a problem with the missile launchers (turrets 13a-20a).  While they seem to work just fine in game and fire missiles FRED sees them as either EA Medium pulse or nothing at all.  Not sure if this is a FRED issue or something with this model.  Tried both the 3.6.9 standard and Inferno builds as well as a recent 3.6.10 Inferno build.  Haven't tried changing them in notepad to see what will happen. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: Ground base missile launchers
what are you talking about? There are no ground based missile launchers, there is nothing ground based in all of TBP  :confused: :confused: :confused:

are you refering to the GOD satellite? If yes, its missiles worked in RaiderWars  :confused:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
He's talking about the Matok base. It was originally designed to carry missile launchers on it's walls but I substituted them for phalanx guns because the missiles... well... murdered everything in a 5 mile radius.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well the tables have them defined as EA Panther and they default to missile launchers in my mission (multiplayer).  It's just that I can't change them to any other missiles.  Notepad didn't even help they still fired Panthers.  Haven't tried changing them to a primary weapon.  The second problem with this is that if you even look at them in FRED that turret gets assigned a +Primary Banks: ( " " ) or +Primary Banks: ( "EA Medium Pulse" ) in the mission file.  Depends on weather you look at bank 1-12 first or not.  If you look at another bank it gets the Medium Pulse if you just go straight to one of the missile launchers it gets the blank.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
well the problem is withing the .tbl-file as I can see it

the tbl reads:
Code: [Select]
$Subsystem: turret13a-base, 1.0, 1.0
    $Default PBanks: ( "EA Panther" )
    $Flags: ( "carry no damage" )

but it must be:
$Subsystem: turret13a-base, 1.0, 1.0
    $Default SBanks: ( "EA Panther" )
    $Flags: ( "carry no damage" )

EDIT: added the "fix"

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 04:20:07 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well that should help anyone else that runs into the problem.  Unfortunately since it's multi I need to stick with the core tables.   I'll have to try assigning primaries and see what happens or just be careful to check the file in notepad if I want to leave some of them Panthers. 

@IP: Can you add that to the know problems list please.   

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Look guys I don't have a PC at the moment so you're on your own figuring this one out. It won't be fixed anyway so try a bit of notepad hacking and see if that gives you the result you desire. Best of luck. Word of warning though, I think there are issues with turrets being able to be both primary turrets, and secondary (missile) turrets. The issue being, I don't think it's possible. If you were writing a single mission I'd suggest creating a new table entry as a tbm with the settings you need.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
@IP: Can you add that to the know problems list please.   

I guess though I'm not convinced it's a problem yet. I remember something along these lines from development and it may have been a choice. Since it's throwing you though (and probably others) I'll put it in the known problems list regardless.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Thanks.  As long as I know what is causing it I'm fine and will work around it.  Worst case scenerio I just turret lock them at mission start and add a few other defenses. 

No PC?  What did you have to hawk it for beer money for the HLPL2 meet?

Offline tomcat

• Dark Lord of Truespace
I guess though I'm not convinced it's a problem yet. I remember something along these lines from development and it may have been a choice. Since it's throwing you though (and probably others) I'll put it in the known problems list regardless.

Yeaaaa... Revenge....
Because you butchered my poor model ... you Briton bastard.... I told you the mass driver was cool... ;)
Truespace is the path of the Dark Side
-----------------------------------------------
Dark Truespace Master Tomcat

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Look guys I don't have a PC at the moment so you're on your own figuring this one out. It won't be fixed anyway so try a bit of notepad hacking and see if that gives you the result you desire. Best of luck. Word of warning though, I think there are issues with turrets being able to be both primary turrets, and secondary (missile) turrets. The issue being, I don't think it's possible. If you were writing a single mission I'd suggest creating a new table entry as a tbm with the settings you need.

Turrets can have both without any real problems... only if there is a mixture of weapons having huge flag and those without it then there might be some problems. Except that they do alternate their firing points as always the 'next firingpoint' in line will fire regardless which weapon is being fired.

Also you can use tbm if you need to change the entries.. remember that adding a secondary does not clear the defined primaries though and that has to be done as well... something like (in retail FS 2 Triton example)...
#Ship Classes

$Name:                  GTFR Triton
   +nocreate
$Subsystem:             turret01,1,1.0
   $Default PBanks:        ( "" )
   $Default SBanks:        ( "Tornado" )

#End
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light