Author Topic: Asteroids and Warnings  (Read 3892 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Asteroids and Warnings
These are both two huge bugs for me.

Using the current set of MediaVPs, I can't play missions that have asteroids. I don't know what the exact problem is, but gimmicking around with the graphical settings gives me minimal improvement. I have to remove the VP entirely in order to play any mission that has combat taking place with an asteroid field in view. Even the asteroid field in the distance in Derelict gives me trouble.

Warnings cause a lot of issues in debug builds. I'm sure I've spent a lot of time clicking through them and most of the time it's related to missing media, null MOI, or (the one I see every single time), too many beam sections.

It's been this way for months, and most of the warnings should be minor fixes. As I said, I don't know what's causing the asteroid problem, but that's pretty critical since it's the only issue that keeps me from playing them in all missions (And the asteroids aren't a part of MV_AdvancedEffects, so I'd have to get rid of other enhancements too in the process of disabling them. Granted, I could pull them out from the VP myself, but that's too technical for most users.)

System specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1 GB DDR400 RAM
GeForce 7600GT
7200 RPM SATA HDD.

Usual settings:
All the graphical enhancements w/ shaders, no AA 16x AF.
-C

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: Asteroids and Warnings
Same problem with asteroids: they bring me down to 16fps in some places (second mission main campaign)

AMD Athlon X2 4050e
2GB DDR800 RAM
GeForce 8600GTS
7200 RPM SATA HD

All graphical enhancements with shaders, no AA, no AF

Offline Topgun

the only problems I get are null moi and too many sections, like what wmc said.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Galemp here. We have new asteroids for you. According to VasudanAdmiral

Anyway, I've tested them all out and can't find any evidence of slowdowns, ghosting or size problems (ie, spawned asteroids being bigger than the parent), so I think we should be able to just plonk these straight in.

As for the debug warnings, we'll look into it. I'm trying to nudge the team towards a release so we can drop those Beta and Zeta issues.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline WMCoolmon

That'd be awesome. :)
-C

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Lol, am I the only one who can play this game smoothly in an asteroid field?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Define smoothly.
I can usually manage 30 FPS looking at a semi-dense asteroid field.
Solid masses of asteroid still bring me down to ~15 though.
(Open ones are usually fine).
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I'm trying to nudge the team towards a release so we can drop those Beta and Zeta issues.

But ... but ... but ... think of poor DaBrain :(  Unless someone else can organize this one :nervous:

Actually, I'd be as happy as anyone to see a gamma release.  I just don't want to put too much pressure on one person to do it...

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Define smoothly.
I can usually manage 30 FPS looking at a semi-dense asteroid field.
Solid masses of asteroid still bring me down to ~15 though.
(Open ones are usually fine).

256 asteroids in a test mission brings me to 15 fps.
This mission has four stars, by the way.
I was running fraps (rendering a movie).
All the graphics enhancement flags (including normals) were on.
The resolution was 1600x1200.
AF was at x16 and AA was at x16.

Offline Aardwolf

The problem with asteroids, as far as I can tell, is that they do not decrease in detail as they increase in distance (they don't have LODs or do not use them properly). If the fix doesn't take that into account, it doesn't work.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
There are now 9 separate (and different :p ) asteroid models. Big, medium and small for each of the colours defined in FRED. (something that got broken when the first batch of new rocks was introduced) There is only one large texture between the three sizes in each colour group (ie, brown, blue and orangey redish) and the asteroid models all have 3 lods each.

As far as I can tell, this should solve the efficiency issues. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
There are now 9 separate (and different :p ) asteroid models. Big, medium and small for each of the colours defined in FRED. (something that got broken when the first batch of new rocks was introduced) There is only one large texture between the three sizes in each colour group (ie, brown, blue and orangey redish) and the asteroid models all have 3 lods each.

As far as I can tell, this should solve the efficiency issues. :)

There was an asteroid fix in either BTRL or WCSPrologue ( can't remember which   :confused: ). It's in VP format so all I did was drop that VP in my MediaVPs folder, works for me, still slows a little but not nearly as much.

Worth a shot?  :nervous:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Worth a shot for what? The new roids that will be in the next MVP will be fine, but if you mean as a tempoary stopgap for people until then,.... well yeah I suppose so?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Worth a shot for what? The new roids that will be in the next MVP will be fine, but if you mean as a tempoary stopgap for people until then,.... well yeah I suppose so?

Yeah, a temporary stopgap until 3.6.10 is official!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline WMCoolmon

Does anyone have the asteroid fix uploaded somewhere?
-C