Author Topic: Unscannable Comm Nodes  (Read 1807 times)

Unscannable Comm Nodes
So, I want to scan a Shivan Comm node. The node is set scannable, and subsystem scanning is off. I can target it with the U key, but it doesn't show up in target view as "unscanned", and I can't scan it either.

I tried using set-unscanned, but to no avail.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Unscannable Comm Nodes
Only think I can think of is making sure it has cargo.  This question has come up before so you may want to do some searching. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Untick cargo known if you haven't already. Although setting it unscanned should have had the same effect.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

The node has cargo, which isn't known by default. I replayed Lion's Den to have a look if it's possible there, but these nodes aren't scannable either (Perhaps this is not a FRED issue then?)

FUBAR, are you sure this has been asked before? I can't find anything like it.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It could be an issue to do with the fact that nodes by default have the Knossos flag. I'm not certain if they are scanable either (can't run MSVC at the moment to check).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
FUBAR, are you sure this has been asked before? I can't find anything like it.

Pretty sure there was a big discussion on subsystem scanning that turned into an all out discussion on scanning. 

Here's one:  http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,10467.0.html

Seems anything with the huge flag can't be scanned?????

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:57:05 am by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

C***.

Is there any way around it, without messing with the tables? It would be really difficult to "talk around" it in the mission.

EDIT: Found it :D Thanks, boys.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:34:44 pm by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
You could fake the scanning process, by adding waypoints and let on of your wingman scan the node.
Set SEXPs to let him stay close to the node for 10 or 20 seconds.

So, I discovered that when I toggle subsystem scanning "on", I can scan the whole thing at once. I don't get the logic of it, but I'm glad it's fixed. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
"Toggle subsystem scanning" means just that -- a toggle.  If scanning the whole ship is normal behavior, the toggle will make it scan only subsystems, and vice versa.  Since the FS2 retail behavior (c.f. Into the Lion's Den) is to scan the whole thing, you should have been able to just duplicate what :v: did.

Try posting your mission as an attachment.

Well, the mission is kinda... secret...

But when I toggle subsystem scanning on, I can scan the whole node, but not the individual subsystems.

I just replayed Lion's Den, and I couldn't scan the nodes there either. So I can't duplicate :v:'s work there.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Actually, in Lion's Den you couldn't scan the comm nodes either.  I misremembered. :doh:

So I'm not sure whether this is a bug or not.  At least your mission is working.