Author Topic: Odd problem...  (Read 1197 times)

Offline cloneof

Hi, I was trying to install my old good Freespace 2 retail on my new Vista 64. The install went good up to a point when it asked for the CD 2 again. I putted it in and suddenly my screen turn black. This has happened to a lot of my games with their opening videos, something about Vista not fully equipped...

Could someone help?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm guessing that by "turning black" you are not refering to the UAC confirmation request. Then my next question would be if you have tried the various compatibility options for the Installer.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline cloneof

Well it appears that it still managed to add itself to Windows registry, so no, I haven't got the option to try and re-installed as the Windows believes it is there and the uninstall software can't find all the files, so it gives an error message...

Does anyone remember the way to Windows registry?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Ummmm. It sounds to me like it's crashing at the point where it tries to run the Descent 3 demo. The game should be fully installed by then so just let it crash and then run the game normally.

If you really need to find the registry entry though, look in
HKEY CURRENT USER->Software->Classes->VirtualStore->MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Volition->Freespace2
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 08:01:47 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline cloneof

No it is not. The starter .exe is broken.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Type regedit in the Start-menus search field. Press enter. Enjoy. But before you do that, you should be able to copy all the files you need manually, since the files on CDs 2 and 3 are not packaged as .cabs. Simply copy all .vp and .mve files over (do not overwrite any already in your FS2 folder!).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline cloneof

Well I got to the root of problem, it seems that my firewall was just too excited about the video, thus making an alert and asking for perminission and as the video was "playing" I could not go and say yes, thus making an ugly bug.

But now I seemed to get it re-installing, so I thank all of you for all the help, thanks!