Author Topic: Anyone point me to who built the HQ FS2 models in the open source project?  (Read 2625 times)

Anyone point me to who built the HQ FS2 models in the open source project?
Hi.  i am currently working on a FS2 mod for a PC game called Sins of a Solar Empire.

I released a FS1 mod using the standard models a while back but i would love to use the beautiful models created buy the people in this project for my FS2 era mod.  i will of course give full props to the creators of each model i use in the mod.  i do plan to release my mod to the public, for free of course.

i really only plan to use the capital ships like fenris, lucifer(amazing), etc.  i will use the standard strike craft models from vanilla FS2.

i hope the creators will see this post if they are still active or someone who can speak for this great project.

It would really add a lot to the sins mod to have access to these ships.

let me know, please and thank you.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Anyone point me to who built the HQ FS2 models in the open source project?
I'm no expert here but I think using the models outside of FS2 would be something you would need to take up with either :v: or Interplay.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

As far as the original models go i thought they were open source now and anyone could do any free thing with they wanted?  kinda like the babylon project, except i want the models, not the game engine.  maybe im wrong on that?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
TBP models aren't allowed to be transferred to other mods without the creators consent either.  While no one really owns the rights to TBP Interplay still owns the rights and is still selling FS2.  :v: still has some rights too.  If you really look at the license agreement all mods, models, missions, tables, etc based on the FS2 engine belong to Interplay in the end.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

ok good to know.  well hopefully they will appreciate the mod and not ask for it to be taken down.  it is a homage to their work after all.  never know with corporate types though.  maybe i should ask them too? 

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Moved this to the FS Upgrade forum - a lot of the creators are still active and can be found here, or at least the MediaVP people, who will know who to contact in most cases.

As for the legal ramificaions, well, it's iffy. Personally, I don't see anyone extracting [V] models from Sins, re-poffing them and then using them to repopulate FS2 or something insane like that, so it's not like directly pirating the game. Besides which, 95% of the people likely to play the mod will be those who've bought and played Fs2 anyway, and for the minority, maybe including a link to Good Old Games in the readme would be an idea?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

thanks for the move.

i had a look at the EULA for FS2 and read interplay's history.  they are making a comeback but not doing any Freespace stuff yet it seems.  anyway, they never said anything about the first mod so hopefully not this one either.  if nothing else, I will have a sweet FS2 mod for Sins and i can show people pics er something.

If you're wanting to use the high-poly models in your mod, I'd recommend you at least credit HLP for them, as almost every model's creator is active here. I would also credit :v: for the models the new ones were based off of as well as Interplay for obviously publishing the games.

(PS: Your FS1 Sins mod is awesome. Can't wait to see what the FS2 one will be like)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The creation process is a convoluted one. Someone might start a mesh, someone else textures it, a third converts it, and a fourth cleans it up for final presentation. If I were you I would simply credit the Freespace Upgrade Project and Hard Light Productions, and of course Volition for the original models.

BTW, don't worry about the quasi-legal ramifications of making a Freespace mod for Sins. They pulled it off for Homeworld with nary a peep. So long as there's no money trading hands and you're not claiming ownership of the IP, you should be okay.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

right! i knew there was another mod that had used the models from the game.  i think thats where i got the idea from originally.

thanks for the suggestions, i will be sure to have more credits in the next mod including those mentioned here.  i was kinda rushed and frazzled at the end of the first one and that fell of the radar.