Author Topic: Beowulf  (Read 711 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I have a question, if I had 5 machines I'd like to make into slave nodes, 3 600MHz Pentium 3's, 1 2GHz P4, and 1 2.6GHz P4, is it possible to hook them up into a beowulf cluster?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
from glancing over the wikipedia entry you need a server, use your fastest comp for this. then somehow set the rest up to boot off a cd or the network. they dont need hard drives (though you can use them to boot from). youre gonna probibly one a good gigabit switch and probibly dual headed gigabit connection to the server to maximize bandwidth. none the less youl be hackng away at the linux commandline for days before it clicks onn and does what you want it to do.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Just wanted to know if it was possible, never said I thought it would be easy. Thanks.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i like the idea, but i hate linux.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN