Author Topic: Stuck adding an event with a 'time operator' in the FRED Walkthrough  (Read 1633 times)

Offline sausage

• waynejohnson.net
Stuck adding an event with a 'time operator' in the FRED Walkthrough
Hi Guys, spent the afternoon doing the walk through, and was going great guns. Learning a lot.

But I got stuck at the section on adding events, namely: http://www.freespacefaq.com/freddocs/walkthrough.html#large

Then under the subheading: "NTF Attack: Part 1" it directs me add the first event. This event requires a time based operator "has-time-elapsed". The problem is that time based operators are (grayed) greyed out.

I can only assume I have missed some detail or setting along the way to make time based operators valid to use at this point. Can anyone please prod me in the right direction?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Stuck adding an event with a 'time operator' in the FRED Walkthrough
Has-time-elapsed is under logical not time.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline sausage

• waynejohnson.net
Re: Stuck adding an event with a 'time operator' in the FRED Walkthrough *FIXED*
Ah gosh darn it you are right.

I looked many times through the two available submenus and couldn't see it and presumed incorrectly it much be under time.

Many thanks for your help.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
FRED is sneaky like that
I for one had a hard time figuring out how to get the damage->hits left to ungrayed
turns out a > or < logical was required before that. SEXP's work great once you actually know how they work and where you can find them  :nod:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, that was one of the more non-intuitive ones I stumbled across when I went through the walkthrough recently.  "But it says time in it!!!"

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well, it makes perfect sense once you find it the first time...
At least, to me it does.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Can't say it does to me. :p I mean, I know it's technically a logical operator, but as the name suggests, it's a simple check on mission time, so all things being equal, you'd think it would be grouped with other events involving mission time.  Maybe as part of these proposed UI changes, someone could come up with a way for sexps like that to be listed under more than one category.