Author Topic: Need help with Delenda Est (spoiler!)  (Read 2032 times)

Offline duff

Need help with Delenda Est (spoiler!)
Hi,

i need some help with the mission Delenda Est. I'm beyond the first(?) checkpoint. Then i start killing the last fighter wings of the Carthage. After that, I'm supposed to destroy the beam weapons of the corvettes(?). But after several tries, the Ogre or another frigate is always ripped apart before i can inflict some serious damage on the beams. Once i got far enough, that at least one corvette jumped out. But the remaining Carthage fleet was still strong enough to destroy a frigate. Does anyone know, what I'm doing wrong or give me a hint on how to complete this mission?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 06:20:18 am by duff »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Need help with Delenda Est (spoiler!)
Hmm....There isn't really much to say about this. Personally, I usually take a bank of Paveways and two banks of Slammers along, then do the disarming using the Archer cannon and the Paveways (You do know the Archer is the best anti-subsystem weapon around, don't you?).

Also, make sure you have the latest patch. That part of Delenda Est has been toned down a bit there.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Alright mate,

Which primaries are you using to defang those SOBs, if at all? If you haven't worked out the piece of win that is the Archer, I'd suggest having a go with that baby. It doesn't penetrate shields, but it's as close to a turret sniping primary weapon as you're probably going to get in Freespace.

If you can attempt to neutralise the turrets before the beam overcharge point, then bravo-zulu. But basically, as soon as the sequence starts, you need to prioritize the closest corvette, and neutralise his forward beams and aft beam cannon that has a line of fire to the frigates.

If memory serves correctly, he'll attempt a roll on the x axis, use this time to neutralise the cannons of the other Corv with the Archer. (You can do this at standoff range, cruising within the safety of the corvs). Now, once you're done that, the first corvette you disarmed will be bringing his other beams to bear, so at this point you want to finish him off, and then get back to that corv you left a minute ago and destroy the rest of his beam cannons. (K is a handy little key for this segment)

This can effectively be pulled off in under thirty seconds (and should be).

If your frigs are being mauled by the other ships in the Carthage's group, then don't hesitate to defang any single ship causing damage (I think G is the key to hit whilst targeting a ship to target its current attacker?).

What you also might want to do, is try and neutralise the bombers in the first phase of the mission as fast as you can, and keep both Frigs in the 70-80 range in terms of their hull integrity. This'll act as a buffer when it comes to the beam overcharge sequence.

But of course, I've played this mission literally about 20 times and have that whole sequence mapped out in my head and might have put it down in a post in such a state that it's unfollowable, in which case I apologize. :P

Offline duff

Thanks guys, i made it ... at least to the point where the next destroyer arrives ;)
The Archer was the answer!

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
The archer is always the answer. :D

Offline -Sara-

- Use proper equipment against subsystems.
- Make sure the frigates aren't hit too hard by bombers, as corvettes love to finish the job.
- Your fighters can defend the frigates for a while, you're much better at knocking out subsystems than any AI once you practise a little. ;)
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.