Author Topic: Music fade in/out? Crossfade?  (Read 1499 times)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Music fade in/out? Crossfade?
Obviously to have your music fade in and out, you can edit it with an audio editor. However during ambience > battle > arrival > etc. i.e. situational transitions, audio is abruptly broken with no transition.

I don't know whether this was ever addressed, but I was wondering if it would be possible for a FREDDer (or to have it as a feature you can flip on or off) to force a fade-out for x seconds on a given piece that's currently playing, to transition the upcoming piece that's about to play.

An option to cross-fade all music as the situational transitions transpire during a mission would also be nice.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Music fade in/out? Crossfade?
Well, I'm currently working on a few sexps that would allow you to adjust the in-game music and effects volume.....

I'll have a look into this.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You can do this if you use play-sound-from-file, but it's kinda clumsy and you can't have arrival music.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I've also noticed that the abrupt shift between battle tracks or the arrival cues doesn't actually place the tracks directly back to back--there is a slight hiccup of silence in between.  This is a bit of a problem for FotG as our music is designed to directly segue from one section to the next.  The looping of tracks during briefings also has a similar hiccup, making it impossible to create a constant flow of music without interruption.  It would be ideal if individual soundtracks in the music.tbl could have the option to fade, crossfade, or seamlessly transition.  The fade and crossfade options would also benefit from a value in seconds or samples for how long those transitions should last.  Anyway, that's my dream.  Glad others have noticed this :)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
this would need to be a change that would be activated by changes in the music table. FSU would have another job on it's plate, but a minor one.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together