Author Topic: Mod specific command line defaults  (Read 3650 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Mod specific command line defaults
I would agree.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Third, it would be changing the design of the engine itself.  The engine would shift from being the dumb "do what I am told" engine it is now, into its own launcher, which is not necessarily a bad thing (see, source engine and Civilization 5 (which actually has a launcher that chooses the DirectX api to use)), but is a fundamental shift of the design goals of the engine.  While adding auto-detect of the resolution, etc. wouldn't be too hard, the problem is because it would mean bluring the lines between the engine and the launcher, at some point someone will come along and ask why doesn't the engine do <something the launcher currently handles>. Now, don't get my wrong, I am not opposed to a system like but it will be a lot of work and see point 2 above.
The point I was trying to make is that when a newbie comes along, he's told to select a mod but is often given no other instructions really. So what happens is that he's running at 640x480 at 16-bit color depth. There have been countless of posts about resolution and color depth issues.

I don't mind solving these issues at launcher level, but the problem is that no user is guaranteed to run a given launcher. There has been and there will be multiple choices when it comes to launchers. And since FSO is cross-platform application, we have a bunch of linux newbies who don't necessarily ever use a launcher.

What I tried to suggest is that by default FSO should have sensible default settings, auto-detection or no. This means finally getting rid of Windows registry and using unified, single solution for all platforms which 3rd party launchers can then interact with.

And now that you brought it up, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of ditching 3rd party launchers for good and have one built into the FSO itself. In fact, in long-term that would probably be the best option in reducing support issues as well as giving unified, coherent end-user experience across all supported platforms as would be expected of a modern game.

But let's us tackle one issue at a time. But it would be nice to decide on the order at which they should be tackled at. So the issues are:
1) Have all needed features in wxlauncher that allows mods to control non-optional (non-overwritable) and optional settings.
2) Make wxlauncher the new recommended launcher across all platforms.
3) Create a table to support these mod controllable settings, separate from any launcher which would be loaded with just -mod parameter.
4) Get rid of Windows registry dependencies and move into unified single cross-platform solution.
5) Build a launcher into FSO itself.

But of course, perhaps it'd be best to skip straight to step 3. In an ideal world we could skip straight into steps 3, 4 and 5, but I doubt it'll happen.

Then we have a question of how would currently existing launchers interact with said settings table. What kind of conflicts would occur? What settings FSO would use, ones from table or ones from the launcher that doesn't read the new settings table? People will surely be using outdated launchers when said settings table is implemented in development builds, and likely even after release of final builds.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:53:06 pm by Fury »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
IL-2 can actually set many settings in both its launcher and its in game menus.  So it's not like that's never been done before.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i wouldnt mind the launcher settings table allow for both locking down a setting to make it unchangeable, or to suggest a default, but allow the user to change it from the command line. something like:

Code: [Select]
$setting: fps ;fps counter
 +default: off ;default value, can be overridden with command line

$setting: orbradar
 +force: on ;value is forced and unchangeable

of course some settings with number values it would be nice to be able confine the setting to specific values or ranges of values.

Code: [Select]
$setting: fov
 +default: 0.75
 +allow range: 0.5,1 ;user is allowed to set the value in this range, if out of range default is used

$setting: antialiasing
 +default: 0
 +allow value: 0 ;any of these settings may be used, otherwise default is used
 +allow value: 2
 +allow value: 4
 +allow value: 8
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:28:13 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Yea we talked about something like that the other day on IRC but with a separate entry for multi as well. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i guess that works
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN