Author Topic: RCS Thrusters  (Read 3206 times)

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Steam
The US space shuttle has a couple of Reactionary Control System thrusters... which basically allow it to maneuver in various directions.

One thing that I haven't seen on a space sim to date is firing of the RCS thrusters when turning, rolling, or screeching to a dead stop. Basically, I'm thinking of having definable points on the ship model that will "fire" when a particular condition is met.

For example, say we have some RCS thrusters that control the pitch and roll.  2 thrusters on the "top" and 2 thrusters on the bottom:

Nose up - the bottom thrusters will animate.

Nose down - the top thrusters will animate.

Roll clockwise - the right (in relation to the pilot) top thruster and the left bottom thruster will animate.

Would this be possible to do in FSO? or would it be too much of a headache?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:44:31 pm by z64555 »
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
It already exists.  Been around for ages.  Look up $Thruster entries in ships.tbl.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline z64555

• Steam
Doh, how did I miss that.  :nervous:

Many thanks, hopefully I'll see if I can use it on some of FringeSpace's ships in the future.
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Parias

The US space shuttle has a couple of Reactionary Control System thrusters... which basically allow it to maneuver in various directions.

One thing that I haven't seen on a space sim to date is firing of the RCS thrusters when turning, rolling, or screeching to a dead stop. Basically, I'm thinking of having definable points on the ship model that will "fire" when a particular condition is met.

Slight off the track, but you should check out Nexus: The Jupiter Incident and the games from the Independence War series, both of which did these details particularly well.

Didn't the Vipers in BtRL have exactly that? It looked awesome.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Supposedly yes, it was a big deal back then too... I never actually saw them while I was playing though.
Not sure why at the time..
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Didn't the Vipers in BtRL have exactly that? It looked awesome.
yes,and you can add sound to them... it should implemented in diaspora too...and in all other mods for my tastes :)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Not all universes use RCS thrusters for maneuvering.  Some are a bit more wishy-washy, like the ethereal rudder, or gyro systems.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Not all universes use RCS thrusters for maneuvering.  Some are a bit more wishy-washy, like the ethereal rudder, or gyro systems.

There is nothing physically implausible in using a gyro to change the orientation of a spacecraft...
...it'd be just a tad heavy.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
...or it'd have to spin really really fast
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline z64555

• Steam
Gyros might not be a good thing for craft that have hyperspace capability...  :P
chief1983

------------

Offline Tomo

There is nothing physically implausible in using a gyro to change the orientation of a spacecraft...
Indeed - in fact pretty much all current orientable spacecraft use them.
They tend to call them 'reaction wheels' rather than gyros though, as the term 'gyroscope' is generally reserved for the sensing apparatus used to keep track of where you're currently pointing, rather than doing the orientation directly.

However, actual delta-v takes the expenditure of reaction mass. Unless of course we find that physics isn't quite what we thought and you really can push against the quantum foam...

Offline z64555

• Steam
Indeed - in fact pretty much all current orientable spacecraft use them.
They tend to call them 'reaction wheels' rather than gyros though, as the term 'gyroscope' is generally reserved for the sensing apparatus used to keep track of where you're currently pointing, rather than doing the orientation directly.

However, actual delta-v takes the expenditure of reaction mass. Unless of course we find that physics isn't quite what we thought and you really can push against the quantum foam...

Read up a little about the reaction wheels and it makes sense now... but to my understanding a reaction-wheel might take too long to re-orient a dog fighting spacecraft.

In related news, saw some info about Hall Effect thrusters. Dang Russians beat us to it..!
chief1983

------------

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
reaction wheels and hets are kinda slow and really only used for station keeping in satellites. reaction wheels are pretty much only used in situations where precision is critical, and its usually always used in conjunction with some kind of rcs thrusters, since you must detorque the wheels from time to time. for a space fighter you might want to use a much more powerful thruster, and for a huge ship you might need a pretty powerful engines just for turning (probably using bleed gases from the main engine, or better yet, gimbaled main engines).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:29:52 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline z64555

• Steam
Hmm, now that I'm thinking about it, I imagine that a reaction wheel would be used right before craft's do their hyperspace jump... since they are going quite a far distance away, they need a very high precision attitude.
chief1983

------------

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Hmm, now that I'm thinking about it, I imagine that a reaction wheel would be used right before craft's do their hyperspace jump... since they are going quite a far distance away, they need a very high precision attitude.

that is assuming a change of orientation is necessary, i never see ships move to any specific orientation before warping out.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline z64555

• Steam
They might need to stop all rotational momentum, though...
chief1983

------------