Author Topic: Host Request - BP Multi  (Read 1789 times)

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Host Request - BP Multi
The story:
Over the holiday break in 2010 a modest initiative was started to make a few multiplayer missions for the Blue Planet War in heaven modpack. That project has since acquired more interest, more members, and a larger body of work. Public multiplayer tests for this project run regularly, roughly once a month. Right now the SVN is freely available to anyone on this thread. Many of the multiplayer games currently played nowadays are bpmulti games.   

The request:
Recently a member of this project, Lester, pointed out that our team lacks an effective way to colaberate beyond irc and mass private messaging and that our own board was needed. I suggested trying to get one on HLP, so here we are. It has been suggested that we become a child board for multiplayer. It has also been suggested that we become a child board for Blue Planet. Each one has advantages and disadvantages but either works. 

The reasoning:
As listed by the Hosting Policy

1) We have our SVN at www.assembla.com. We also have some demo videos.

2) We have 12+ coop missions and conversions, 5 TvT missions and, 6 dogfight missions. We also have a robust modpack addon with #player capable capital ships, rebalanced weapons and one re-textured ship. All of our progress can be seen in the SVN.

3) I don't believe this one is applicable to a multiplayer project so I'll skip. The storyarch belongs to Blue Planet and design is determined on a mission by mission basis.

4) Well that's 23+ missions... All the missions undergoing work have been developed to a playable level. They can be tested/critiqued by anyone. I'm not sure if this applies to our situation either.

If you have any questions post here and I'll do my best to answer them. Thanks for your consideration on behalf of bp multi.

BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Host Request - BP Multi
I can vouch that this is by far the most active multiplayer community in the...community. It also has the advantage of being backwards compatible with FS2 normal multi, to the point where I'm not sure there's actually a disadvantage to having BP multi installed aside from not getting your stats saved (right?)

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
Blue Planet and bp multi uses .tbm files built ontop of retail tables so you can play retail missions using bp multi (in fact I just tested it now), but no stats tracking yet since BP tables aren't validated.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What's the main hold up when it comes to validating the tables? Or is it just that you haven't tried it yet?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
The main reason why we haven't attempted validation yet is because the tables are continually being updated with balance tweaks new additions etc. We have sort of quietly agreed to hold off on validation until things are more solidified.

Also, I heard a rumor that only total conversions such as TBP can be validated since they use .tbl files and not .tbm. I have no further knowledge about it though and I'm not sure if it's true.
BP Multi
The Antagonist

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Ahhhh, so you intend to rebalance the game for multi, not just merely collaborate on writing missions together. Well that just means that you havea better case for needing hosting I suppose. :D

I'm fairly sure that it's not true that tbm's can't be validated but you'd really have to ask Taylor. I know that he wanted to make sure tbm's could be validated and as AFAIK he did.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's not just intent - the project has been underway for several months, with a lot of missions and table work under their belt, never mind games played.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Somebody hit me up on IRC to go through the process on how setting things like this up is done please. Just so I can make sure I do it right for future requests.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys