Author Topic: UK to privatize police?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Mika

UK to privatize police?
This is just weird

UK is discussing about privatizing some parts of the police force. Privatizing a police force??? Yes, that's right, privatizing police force. I don't know what UK legalization would say about this, and what parts of the police functions the private police would do.

Could any of you Brits shed any light on this?
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: UK to privatize police?
ffs not again.  Labour and the Conservatives seem both to be hell-bent on privatising the police in the last 10 years or so.  As you can imagine the plans have been scrapped each time but this rubbish really needs to stop.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Looks like Freelancer hit it dead on with Liberty Police Incorporated (they were American, not British, but nevermind).  :)

ffs not again.  Labour and the Conservatives seem both to be hell-bent on privatising the police in the last 10 years or so.  As you can imagine the plans have been scrapped each time but this rubbish really needs to stop.

Did the Robocop TV series ever get a UK spin-off?  It might explain where they got the idea....

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
We've got a crysis on our hands. . .

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
Now we just need superheroes to save the day!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cape_(2011_TV_series)

But yeah, it sounds like it's a waste of time even suggesting it.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I think this idea may actually have some merit to it. Of course, I'm not really full-bottle on how you lads do things over there RE:your Police force and whether they're actually any good or not but I know over here that we're experiencing some severe manning problems and the privatization of a few things the Police currently do would free up blokes to do some srs Policing. (With a 20% cut however this is starting to look pretty stupid...)

Of course that accountability thing is a strong one to consider. I'm not aware of the peculiarities of UK law but at least under Aus law anyone privately employed in a security role can't do a lot more than place you under citizen's arrest and are certainly nowhere near free enough to consider actual Police duties in the slightest. Though the fact they're being employed to watch neighborhoods make me think your law is a fair bit more lax in that respect.

Offline Mika

I'm not sure if they were saying that investigation work could be outsourced. That gets the wealthy off the hook, well, even more off the hook than they used to.

On the other hand, it might be so that automatization could start to happen in the police forces as well. Besides, wouldn't this be cool? :rolleyes:

Plenty of people here would oppose this move, but let's see if our politicians are stupid enough to try and introduce it - sorry, they will try and introduce it within couple of years now that somebody has taken the first step to discuss about it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:02:12 am by Mika »
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline headdie

• Headdie on Deviant Art
I think this idea may actually have some merit to it. Of course, I'm not really full-bottle on how you lads do things over there RE:your Police force and whether they're actually any good or not but I know over here that we're experiencing some severe manning problems and the privatization of a few things the Police currently do would free up blokes to do some srs Policing. (With a 20% cut however this is starting to look pretty stupid...)

Of course that accountability thing is a strong one to consider. I'm not aware of the peculiarities of UK law but at least under Aus law anyone privately employed in a security role can't do a lot more than place you under citizen's arrest and are certainly nowhere near free enough to consider actual Police duties in the slightest. Though the fact they're being employed to watch neighborhoods make me think your law is a fair bit more lax in that respect.

Each county has its own police force which is subdivided into divisions, though a division generally covers a wider area than in the states as I understand it, there is no umbrella force like the FBI but the London Metropolitan police often takes on this role where needed.

The police as it is does a good job, there are a few issues with miss conduct but these are rarely press worthy and cases get solved.  the main issue with law and order is that the courts cant do jack because the prisons are too full so they have to rely a lot on fines, tagging and community orders for the most part. 

Except in the cities crime tends to be drugs, burglary and domestic violence.  For eyes on the street stuff we have the Police Special Constables who are civilians with limited training who work on a part time basis to supplement the police, though government funding for them has been cut as well as the main police.

All this comes down to is the government trying to save themselves money, and tbh privatisation of services that retain the kind of government input that this will require rarely saves the government much money and usually degrades services, just look at our rail network for an example of this.
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mikes

I can see it happening for parking tickets... but little else.

And that wouldn t even make sense as parking tickets are  revenue :p lol.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:13:11 am by Mikes »

Offline headdie

• Headdie on Deviant Art
I can see it happening for parketing tickets... but little else.

And that wouldn t even make sense as parking tickets are  revenue :p lol.

which is why the UK government will do it.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Each county has its own police force which is subdivided into divisions, though a division generally covers a wider area than in the states as I understand it, there is no umbrella force like the FBI but the London Metropolitan police often takes on this role where needed.

The police as it is does a good job, there are a few issues with miss conduct but these are rarely press worthy and cases get solved.  the main issue with law and order is that the courts cant do jack because the prisons are too full so they have to rely a lot on fines, tagging and community orders for the most part. 

Except in the cities crime tends to be drugs, burglary and domestic violence.  For eyes on the street stuff we have the Police Special Constables who are civilians with limited training who work on a part time basis to supplement the police, though government funding for them has been cut as well as the main police.

All this comes down to is the government trying to save themselves money, and tbh privatisation of services that retain the kind of government input that this will require rarely saves the government much money and usually degrades services, just look at our rail network for an example of this.
Oh, I see. Yes, this isn't looking nearly as good as I thought. :\ Do UK Police currently contract people?