Author Topic: Has anyone ever made a mission like this?  (Read 6313 times)

Re: Has anyone ever made a mission like this?
A gag campaign could always do subspace musical chairs.  Or even worse, subspace chess.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
A gag campaign could always do subspace musical chairs.  Or even worse, subspace chess.

musical subspace chess????
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Axem, why aren't you FREDding this already?  Admiral Cauldron could totally play musical subspace chess with Admiral Iron in the next JAD. :D
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline -Norbert-

Great Hunt features a sensor-damping nebula that must be searched, the positions of enemy units are not known, and any number of reasons could be constructed why it would be best done the way it is.
FS1's The Great Hunt. The Galatea jumped too far away from the Lucifer (lack of precision), and didn't repositioned itself to catch up (drive recharging, lack of precision).
My impression of that mission was that the Bastion didn't misjump, but underestimated the Lucifer.
They thought they'd end up very close to the Lucy, but the Shivan ship was far closer to the node than the GTA would have thought possible.

While  that mission does give credence to the GTA not having the ability to do microjumps in the FS1 era, that doesn't even mean for sure that they couldn't have done it in the FS2 era, much less set any boundaries for a mod.

Offline headdie

• Headdie on Deviant Art
Great Hunt features a sensor-damping nebula that must be searched, the positions of enemy units are not known, and any number of reasons could be constructed why it would be best done the way it is.
FS1's The Great Hunt. The Galatea jumped too far away from the Lucifer (lack of precision), and didn't repositioned itself to catch up (drive recharging, lack of precision).
My impression of that mission was that the Bastion didn't misjump, but underestimated the Lucifer.
They thought they'd end up very close to the Lucy, but the Shivan ship was far closer to the node than the GTA would have thought possible.

While  that mission does give credence to the GTA not having the ability to do microjumps in the FS1 era, that doesn't even mean for sure that they couldn't have done it in the FS2 era, much less set any boundaries for a mod.

all it really says is that the GTA cant make jumps in quick succession rather than comment on the ability to perform micro jumps
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

That's not what I'm planning to do.
Of course not! So you must be planning...

Spoiler:
A FLEET-WIDE PICARD MANEUVER!!!
Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

Say, What about beam-freeing? I recall the Psamtik had to "power up photon beam cannons" and "commence plasma core insertion", or something along those lines, when she destroyed the Belisarius. That was just after coming out of subspace. IF, and only IF, the beams have to be turned off before a jump, and then on again, that could explain why microjumps are so rare. But maybe it's just my memory playing tricks again. Or perhaps that was just Kafhre's way of asking for a hamburger and fries in proper etiquette, considering his position relative to the emperor and the color of their underwear that day. :p

Woohoo! First post I redact without ANY help from Google translate and Merriam-Webster. I hope it's readable. :nervous:

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
That's not what I'm planning to do.
Of course not! So you must be planning...

Spoiler:
A FLEET-WIDE PICARD MANEUVER!!!
Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

Say, What about beam-freeing? I recall the Psamtik had to "power up photon beam cannons" and "commence plasma core insertion", or something along those lines, when she destroyed the Belisarius. That was just after coming out of subspace. IF, and only IF, the beams have to be turned off before a jump, and then on again, that could explain why microjumps are so rare. But maybe it's just my memory playing tricks again. Or perhaps that was just Kafhre's way of asking for a hamburger and fries in proper etiquette, considering his position relative to the emperor and the color of their underwear that day. :p

Woohoo! First post I redact without ANY help from Google translate and Merriam-Webster. I hope it's readable. :nervous:

It was perfectly coherent except for "First post I redact".

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

Axem, why aren't you FREDding this already?  Admiral Cauldron could totally play musical subspace chess with Admiral Iron in the next JAD. :D

i now have a mental image of a bunch of cap ships arranged in a grid facing the player about 20 km or so away, micro-jumping to move as chess pieces.  the colossus should be the queen and do the baseball bat thing when it captures an opposing piece.  orions for the rooks, hecates for the bishops, etc.  i'm thinking fenris for the pawns. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline -Norbert-

Say, What about beam-freeing? I recall the Psamtik had to "power up photon beam cannons" and "commence plasma core insertion", or something along those lines, when she destroyed the Belisarius. That was just after coming out of subspace. IF, and only IF, the beams have to be turned off before a jump, and then on again, that could explain why microjumps are so rare. But maybe it's just my memory playing tricks again.
Your memory is right, but on the other hand the sequence to power up the beams takes just as long as the speech of the Psamtiks CO need to finish, which is something around 5 seconds and would most likely have been shorter if the good admiral had just said "destroy them". He probably liked theatric speeches :lol:

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
Say, What about beam-freeing? I recall the Psamtik had to "power up photon beam cannons" and "commence plasma core insertion", or something along those lines, when she destroyed the Belisarius. That was just after coming out of subspace. IF, and only IF, the beams have to be turned off before a jump, and then on again, that could explain why microjumps are so rare. But maybe it's just my memory playing tricks again.

Or the beams were offline because they were down for maintenance.  Upon seeing combat, his engineers stopped repairing the existing plasma core, and just installed a spare instead.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 04:06:46 am by Alex Heartnet »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That, or it just has to be cycled in and out after each firing cycle. There are many interpretations.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
i now have a mental image of a bunch of cap ships arranged in a grid facing the player about 20 km or so away, micro-jumping to move as chess pieces.  the colossus should be the queen and do the baseball bat thing when it captures an opposing piece.  orions for the rooks, hecates for the bishops, etc.  i'm thinking fenris for the pawns.

The fact no one is already FREDding this disappoints me.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline -Norbert-

Or the beams were offline because they were down for maintenance.  Upon seeing combat, his engineers stopped repairing the existing plasma core, and just installed a spare instead.
The Psamtik was going in to save a convoy from hostiles. Unless something broke down right before or during the jump, who in his right mind would choose that particular moment for weapons maintanance?

Offline headdie

• Headdie on Deviant Art

The Psamtik was going in to save a convoy from hostiles. Unless something broke down right before or during the jump, who in his right mind would choose that particular moment for weapons maintanance?

some times you don't get much choice and as the destroyer was moving in to suppress fighters with a low chance of intervention from hostile warships, it was probably a good time to get some field maintenance done.  (the belisarius dont count because it had only just entered the system and wasn't part of the tactical or strategic situation until that point)

Offline Kie99

Even if it were possible, tactically it's suicide.  It takes time to recharge your jump drive, if you jump out first to try and get the drop on the enemy, he will do the exact same thing as soon as he sees where you're emerging from and will be able to position himself to get an advantage on you.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

It takes time to recharge your jump drive
Except that, as we've already established, there's nothing in canon to confirm that.

It was perfectly coherent except for "First post I redact".
Well, then it was quite good for the first try. :p

He probably liked theatric speeches :lol:
Cheesy, poorly-delivered and grossly-overacted theatric speeches, if you ask me. In my mind the whole scene sounded like...

Khafre: My brothers! Brethren of Vasuda! The time has come for us to power up our photon beam cannons...
Vasudan bridge officer #1: Beg your pardon, sir?
Vasudan bridge officer #2: Just turn on the damned switch!
Khafre: ...for we shall commence plasma core insertion now, and bathe in the glory of our victory...
Vasudan bridge officer #1: What switch? I'm confused!
Belisarius: Kill us already! Before he delivers another line.
Vasudan bridge officer #2: Just fire the beams!
Khafre: ...and in following the footsteps of our ancestors, we fire our beams and cast a blessing upon all Vasudankind...
(Belisarius self-destructs.)
Alpha 2: That's it! I'm defecting for the NTF.
(Alpha 2 jumps out.)
Alpha 1: Command, with all due respect, may I recommend reclassifying vasudan theatre as torture under BETAC?
Allied Command: I'll... see what I can do, pilot.

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
Bonus points for anyone who makes the chess game and programs a computer chess engine using FRED/Scripting that can actually play well

Offline Vip

One word:

MULTIPLAYER
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline Kie99

It takes time to recharge your jump drive
Except that, as we've already established, there's nothing in canon to confirm that.

Maybe not outright confirm it, but it's pretty strongly implied in The King's Gambit

From the briefing
"The NTF Fleet will enter through the Capello jump node.  Each warship will then jump to a rallying point within the Gamma Draconis system.  In the interval between jumps they will re-energise their subspace drives.  Your role will be to neutralize the warships with your Cyclops Torpedos"

Around 3:36 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UYYhKI11cA
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Steam
On another note, 10 capships on each side sounds mighty BoE. The only thing where a mission like this seems actually enjoyable is windmills.