Author Topic: Black Engine exhaust  (Read 2669 times)

For some reason, I am getting a black engine exhaust effect instead of a "glow".  Basically once I get behind a target fighter, the "black" exhaust makes it hard to see the ship.

Has anyone ever experienced this, or better yet have a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I'm not on my FSO comp, but I get this graphical error too.  I'll try to remember to post a log as well.

Am I the only person who thought, "Hey, that actually sounds like a pretty cool effect!"?
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Maybe your graphics card needs driver update or you've got a damaged game file.

And I also Thought about it as a cool effect. Gimmie the screen!  :lol:
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Ok.  I have followed the instruction and am attaching the requested log file.  At one point in time, this problem did not occur and the game looked fine.  It happens and different builds as well as different mods.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
And I also Thought about it as a cool effect. Gimmie the screen!  :lol:
pics or it didn't happen
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

ok.  here is picture.

Offline Yarn

Code: [Select]
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport-mediavps\mv_fsport.vp' with a checksum of 0xb5009f03
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport-mediavps\mv_fsport_music.vp' with a checksum of 0xeb795f15
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport\fsport-missions.vp' with a checksum of 0xfa6606cf
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport\fsport3_2.vp' with a checksum of 0xfd80cf91
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport\fsport3_4.vp' with a checksum of 0x27404416
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport\odeon_fs1.vp' with a checksum of 0x6b0eb146
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport\sparky_hi_fs1.vp' with a checksum of 0x39438fdb
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport\stu_fs1.vp' with a checksum of 0x060994cb
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport\tango_fs1.vp' with a checksum of 0xac31d566
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport\tango_hi1_fs1.vp' with a checksum of 0x110c971c
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport\tango_hi2_fs1.vp' with a checksum of 0xe3c8d13b
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport\tango_hi3_fs1.vp' with a checksum of 0x5ddd28f7
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport\tango_hi4_fs1.vp' with a checksum of 0x52d85c46
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport\tango_hi5_fs1.vp' with a checksum of 0xf615f6be
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport\tango_hi_fs1.vp' with a checksum of 0x44e81e9f
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fsport\warble_fs1.vp' with a checksum of 0x0b608285
Usually, when you update a mod, you're supposed to delete everything in the mod's folder before downloading anything. This includes the FreeSpace Port.

Delete every file listed above except mv_fsport_music.vp, fsport3_4.vp, tango_hi1_fs1.vp, tango_hi2_fs1.vp, tango_hi3_fs1.vp, tango_hi4_fs1.vp, tango_hi5_fs1.vp, and warble_fs1.vp. Then, go to the release thread and redownload everything that you deleted (except fsport3_2.vp and tango_hi_fs1.vp; those are obsolete).

Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\MV_Advanced.vp' with a checksum of 0x4b8b0f5a
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\MV_AnimGlows.vp' with a checksum of 0x6a554026
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\MV_Assets.3612.vp' with a checksum of 0x59649c21
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\MV_Assets.vp' with a checksum of 0x529cc70f
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\MV_Effects.3612.vp' with a checksum of 0x9c510aa0
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\MV_Effects.vp' with a checksum of 0xb9a9a485
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\MV_Music.vp' with a checksum of 0xb3e21469
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\MV_RadarIcons.vp' with a checksum of 0x31dd7781
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\MV_Root.3612.vp' with a checksum of 0x7c9d7e74
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\MV_Root.vp' with a checksum of 0x6ffd5c78
The MediaVPs must be installed to a folder called mediavps_3612; failing to do this can cause problems. Create that folder in your FS2 directory and move all of these files and any files named FSU-MVP.bmp and mod.ini to that folder.

Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\Root_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x747372cc
You did not install the retail 1.20 patch, which is required. Get it here. (If you can't run that for some reason, get this and extract root_fs2.vp to your FS2 folder.)
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Checked / did all 3.  Still have problem.  Do you need the log file again?

Offline Yarn

Yes.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Here is something I just noticed.  If I select no mod and play the original FS2 campaign, it is fine.  If I select a mod, and play the original FS2 campaign OR the mod itself, I have the problem.  I have attached both of the log files.

log files

Offline Yarn

The only thing that I see that might be a problem is this:
OpenGL Version   : 2.1.7165 Release

If you haven't done so already, please make sure that your video driver is up to date.
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Or pick up a new GPU for cheap. Even low-budget ones from a current series will be better than the one you're using now.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I'll be damned. it was the drivers.  I am guessing the newer files required me to update.  Thanks for all the help.

Offline Kolgena

The black exhaust effect is failed rendering of the heat-shimmer code in the distortion shader. I experience the same thing, but my game's smart enough to just ignore the effect entirely. If I force heat shimmer on in F3, I get the same black thruster bug. I blame my mobility 3650, since it also hates and does not properly render other Valathil updates like the ship loadout animated grids and stuff.