Poll

Would you play a coming campaign for "The Babylon Project" total conversion?

I'll play any future TBP-campaign
I'd play a future TBP-campaign if... (please specify with one of following options)
... it offeres a good and/or well-written story.
... it offers a radically new kind of gameplay.
... it offers new kinds of gameplay, but at its core stays ture to the classic FS-formulas.
... it stays true to the classic FS-formulas and doesn't change a bit.
... its presentation is handled in a manner that you don't have to be a total B5-Fanboy/-girl to know what is happening.
I'd never play a TBP-campaign.
I would but TBP's assets are so horribly dated!
Snuffleupagus

Author Topic: I would/wouldn't play a TBP campaign because...  (Read 1710 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I would/wouldn't play a TBP campaign because...
Heyya everyone,

All of you who known me (few enough as there are) know how rough the past year has been for me. As a result I just dropped my FRED'ing pen sometime ago to better focus on the all issues at hand. I finally have come out the other side of all troubles (or at least I'm now at some very bright stop inbetween) and I find without writing and working FRED I just miss something. [/personal note]

So I'm now sitting down on a new campaign (seperated in 5 seasons/chapters currenlty) for our oldest and most venerable, resident Total Conversion TBP. More info will be following soon but I've finalize some finer points of project right now.

If I've learned one thing from my past projects, it is that I've not focussed my attention correctly at all times; sometimes I obessed over details and sometimes I just went over stuff without giving it second glace - which resulted in certain creative difficulties. And left alone I never really discovered my faults.
So I'm going to do a little asking around and allow myself to get some input.

This is not focus testing or any of that nonesense. If I wanted that I known enought people who could show me how it is done correctly.

For me current point of interest is to find out just how much effort I must put into the presentation of aspects of the story, esspecially those moments when I "pass by" cannon B5 material; for example the first season will feature a mission that touches events of the episode "GROPOS" and shows them from an outside perspecitve - everyone familiar with the show will know whole going-on while others might be left with a "WTF?"-moment (in this particular case, I think I've effectively averted this scenario but you never know).

It will not directly change the tone of project, its lenght or what gameplay I've planned or under consideration.(Those who known my campaigns, should know that I'm a fan of the "old school" FS-gameplay - no check-points, not with me - and I've a huge hatred of stealth missions (coming from a time when I actucally tried to make a campaign of those) and while I'm reaching outside my comfort zone and learning new stuff, I hope to stay true to this.)

As for the procedure, you are given 6 votes, as there are two sets of mutually exculsive options (1, 2 & 8; 4, 5 & 6).
As for option 9 (about dated assets), I can't actually do anything about that ('cause of the whole uglieness that would come from that - TBP interna) but I would just like to know how many is a HTL-snobs are around :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 02:54:46 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: I would/wouldn't play a TBP campaign because...
I'd feel extremely uncomfortable playing anything B5-related without having watched at least some B5 episodes beforehand, which I have never taken the time to do yet. So, it's a temporary no from me.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
I'll play any future TBP-campaign...
  • ... it offeres a good and/or well-written story.
  • ... it offers new kinds of gameplay, but at its core stays ture to the classic FS-formulas.

These points are important for me. You don't have to reinvent the wheel, but a campaign that does not just consist of missions where you take down one wave of hostiles after another would be very nice.

And don't make the campaign too long. In my opinion 20 to 25 missions are totally sufficient to tell a good story. Also, in most cases there is no reason to go beyond the 10 minute mark in a mission.

Offline starlord

Sorry I've seen this too late!

Yes, Yes, a thousand times yes!

also, on another topic, I hope at some point you might also wish to salvage your shard of infinity and workings of the warp storylines... they had a lot of promise!

Offline Black-Devil

• Space Fighter
Yes, i would play another campaign of TBP.
I own the complete Series of B5 and al the films which came along.

Perhaps i cann offer you some help
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:38:05 am by Black-Devil »
Do not attack Alpha ONE...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I certainly would as long as it can ensure decent gameplay and plot. Also, I don't think any new TBP campaign meant for B5-addicts would become popular very easily: there are players who have never watched the show before.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]