Author Topic: Graphics stretching on a wide monitor  (Read 1492 times)

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Graphics stretching on a wide monitor
Having played FSO for a while, using my desktop, which has a fairly square monitor, I recently attempted to install FS on my newer laptop, which has a more horizontally elongated screen. But the view is distorted; the whole FreeSpace screen is stretched sideways. Experimenting with different resolutions has failed to solve the problem.

I imagine I'm not the only one to have tried FS on a wide computer screen. Has anyone identified a solution?
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Graphics stretching on a wide monitor
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

I am not sure what you mean by "graphics", but it's perfectly normal (or rather, it is still currently retail behaviour) that all the menu interface gets stretched (mainhall, settings, briefings, etc).
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

I am not sure what you mean by "graphics", but it's perfectly normal (or rather, it is still currently retail behaviour) that all the menu interface gets stretched (mainhall, settings, briefings, etc).

Ok, so the horizontal stretching is normal? I guess that answers the question. Thanks Matth!
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It's "normal" in that it's retail behaviour and noone came up and coded something better yet. The largest available res was 1024x768 back then, and all the interface art just stretches from that.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Yarn

It's "normal" in that it's retail behaviour and noone came up and coded something better yet. The largest available res was 1024x768 back then, and all the interface art just stretches from that.
Actually, retail FS2 never stretched the interface at all. It's only when support for non-4:3 resolutions was added that stretching started to occur. If you get stretching while playing the retail EXE, then it's done by your video card or monitor, not the game.

We have at least fixed the HUD stretching in recent nightly builds, so you might want to try one of those.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:30:29 pm by Yarn »
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Actually, retail FS2 never stretched the interface at all. It's only when support for non-4:3 resolutions was added that stretching started to occur. If you get stretching while playing the retail EXE, then it's done by your video card or monitor, not the game.

We have at least fixed the HUD stretching in recent nightly builds, so you might want to try one of those.

Ah, nice. DLing now. Thanks!