Author Topic: On Being a Dick  (Read 7897 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Thanks Spoon, hopefully we can try to read less into each others posts from now on.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
This has nothing to do with the heated part of the discussion, though it's somehow related to it.

In the past years, I noticed a number of abuses with regards to split threads. A great many thread titles were intentionally changed to sound offensive and look like some sort of "divine punishment" for community members who were supposedly doing something wrong. Just like in this case, with the results you can see. The difference here is that Spoon made it clear while many others accepted this abuse and pretended it was normal.

Non to mention the fact that sometimes it was nearly impossible to determine which thread led to which split, thus causing confusion.

I wonder... since the need of offending a member when splitting a thread is questionable, why can't split threads just maintain the standard "Split from <topic>" title? A split thread getting locked should be the end of an argument, not the start of a second one.

(I'm sorry for the odd phrasing of this post, it's hard to write coherently using a phone.)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:46:55 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That's a fair enough point in some respects. I think "Split from <topic>" should always be in the title, however I don't think it should BE the title, especially if the split isn't locked and the discussion continues on its tangential topic, it makes more sense to give people an idea what the topic might be.

But yeah, there's no need to add insult to injury if the poster is likely to feel aggrieved by the split.   
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]