Author Topic: Using FSPort MediaVPS with 'Shrouding the Light'  (Read 2035 times)

Using FSPort MediaVPS with 'Shrouding the Light'
So I've started playing 'Shrouding the Light', but noticed that in the in-game intro 'cinematic', that the Typhon cruiser was not using a mediavps quality model.

I thought this was a bit odd.  The Mod.ini I was using at that time had the lines:

[multimod]
secondarylist = fsport,mediavps_2014;

So I figured "this probably means that the model of the Typhon from the fsport is overriding the mediavps_2014 model of the same ship... or something."

Ah, but surely I could use the fsport-mediavps?

I tried this:

[multimod]
secondarylist = fsport-mediavps,fsport,mediavps_2014;

This works in-game - I've got a much nicer Typhon model - but unfortunately generates a Warning (saying 18 errors detected) prior to the pilot select screen.  I then tried this:

[multimod]
primarylist = fsport-mediavps;
secondarylist = fsport,mediavps_2014;

But had the same problem.  Admittedly the game seems to run for now, but I'm worried it'll stuff up later.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the mod.ini file works.  Is there a way for me to use the FSPort mediaVPS with this campaign so the FS1 era cap ships look good, or am I just out of luck?

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Re: Using FSPort MediaVPS with 'Shrouding the Light'
Ignore the warnings.  The campaign should play without any problems.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The last mod.ini arrangement you tried is the correct one.  I believe the mediaVPs Typhon model has 18 more turrets than the retail model, which is the source of the warnings.  You could also try posting a log.

Thanks Macfie and Goober5000.  Looking at the error messages I got from the debugger, I'm not sure the issue is with the turrets...  see attached log.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline Macfie

Shrouding the Light has not been updated for some time (2007), so it does not play well with the mediaVPs.  The last ones it was completely compatible with were probably the 3.6.8 MVPs. 
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ah.  Yes, STL includes its own weapons.tbl, which does not contain the weapons that fsport-mediavps expects.  That's the cause of 17 out of the 18 errors.  (The 18th is a dumb formatting bug in the Fury tech room entry.)

Try this as an alternative:

[multimod]
primarylist = fsport-mediavps,fsport;
secondarylist = mediavps_2014;

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Is there some documentation available that explains all the [multimod] precedence rules?  :nervous:

Um... guessing here:

1) primarylist is loaded (in order) before the active mod
2) secondarylist is loaded (in order) after the active mod
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Correct.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Thanks!

(and I probably should have searched the wiki...)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Ah.  Yes, STL includes its own weapons.tbl, which does not contain the weapons that fsport-mediavps expects.  That's the cause of 17 out of the 18 errors.  (The 18th is a dumb formatting bug in the Fury tech room entry.)

Try this as an alternative:

[multimod]
primarylist = fsport-mediavps,fsport;
secondarylist = mediavps_2014;

Oh no!  I think this might have made things worse.  Now I got 22 Warnings when trying to load the mission...

I think maybe this campaign just doesn't like these mediavps.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Actually, those errors are all okay.  They are FS2 weapons that are listed in the mission loadout but not used in the mission itself.  (Apparently the mission author neglected to remove the FS2 weapons.)

Provided the FS2 weapons aren't used in the actual gameplay part of the mission -- which they aren't, at least for the mission you just logged -- you should be good to play the campaign.  Of course, the best thing to do would be to edit the mission file and manually remove the FS2 weapons.

Offline Macfie

The errors are all generated because of the ships.tbl and weapons.tbl that are included in the VP file for STL.  These two files are unnecessary for the mod to work and are generating the errors.  There is a STL-wep.tbm and STLDefaults-shp.tbm that provide all the necessary ships and weapons information.  Modifying the VP file is all that is necessary to remove the errors.

Offline CT27

How does one do this VP modification?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You don't. Modifying the VP file directly is not a good idea for end users.

Offline Macfie

I'm going to try to get a modified and tested version up soon.  The errors have existed since the 3.6.12 mediaVPs came out and do not affect being able to play the campaign.

I'm going to try to get a modified and tested version up soon.  The errors have existed since the 3.6.12 mediaVPs came out and do not affect being able to play the campaign.

Cool.  I might hold off on playing (even if the errors probably don't matter) to try out this release.