Author Topic: 32-bit textures thing  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Do SCP builds of FS2 require the same file in both 8-bit and 32-bit versions in order to load the 32-bit version? That could explain the problem with thruster trails I've been having--I didn't make 8-bit versions of the thruster effects for my new species because I thought I wouldn't need them since I'm using the -jpgtga parameter.

Oh, and is there a way to make FS2 render 32-bit stuff better in 16-bit color? When I run in 1024x768x16, it looks worse than the 8-bit graphics, with horrible banding.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Woolie Wool
1. Do SCP builds of FS2 require the same file in both 8-bit and 32-bit versions in order to load the 32-bit version? That could explain the problem with thruster trails I've been having--I didn't make 8-bit versions of the thruster effects for my new species because I thought I wouldn't need them since I'm using the -jpgtga parameter.

2. Oh, and is there a way to make FS2 render 32-bit stuff better in 16-bit color? When I run in 1024x768x16, it looks worse than the 8-bit graphics, with horrible banding.

1. No, you dont need 8-bit graphics for them to work. You probably used the wrong TGA bit depth.

2. Theres no way. Good dithering is a hard thing and would need too much processor time away, also any 8-bit pre made effects are optimized for it whereas 32-bit stuff cannot be converted to look as good in 8-bit / 16-bit.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline RandomTiger

Re: Re: 32-bit textures thing
Originally posted by Lightspeed

2. Theres no way. Good dithering is a hard thing and would need too much processor time away, also any 8-bit pre made effects are optimized for it whereas 32-bit stuff cannot be converted to look as good in 8-bit / 16-bit.

I'll make sure dithering is active for 16 bit but if you want to use 32 bit graphics then you should use a 32 bit mode otherwise you have to put up with banding or dithering or some other reduction in quality of the image.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
it'll look horrible either way :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.