Author Topic: Freespace rendering engine  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Solatar

Freespace rendering engine
I was looking at some of new screenshots around here, and a lot of them look like they were shot out of a uber l33t rendering program.

Would it be possible to have something in FRED that, when activated, put the player viewpoint where the camera in FRED is, or where are certain ship is, and render everything like in-game. No HUD, no counters, no fs2 interface art, no gameplay. Just using the fs2 rendering code to take a still image. Might be a good idea to remove some of the parsers too, so it's stable.

This could be useful in a number of ways. People could render ships in it, and we could produce some pretty good renders.

I understand about the codefreeze, but I figured I'd post before I forgot about it. Any of the coders want to tell me if it's worth mentioning after the freeze?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Don't we have RT's pause stuff that does this just as well?

Offline Solatar

Yes, but this wouldn't have ships flying around as much, everything would stand still. That way you could get more accurate shots, and differen't things could be upgraded for it as coders took interest.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
place the player where you want the camera, go ingame.

Press Alt Pause. Press Tab.

You'll have a still frame, without a pause box, without a hud. Take your screenshot. Be happy :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Solatar
Yes, but this wouldn't have ships flying around as much, everything would stand still. That way you could get more accurate shots, and differen't things could be upgraded for it as coders took interest.

?

Just paly around with FRED.  Somehow I think abstracting the rendering engine from the game could be a massive task, depending on the architecture.

It does seem somewhat pointless, IMO.  There's no shortage of free renderers about.

Offline Solatar

I was just wondering, with the advancement of the fs2 rendering engine, if it would be a feasable idea to do this. I still think it might be a good idea at least a little, because it could be coded to b able to add different things, like motion blur and such, but if you guys think it a bad idea then I'll just accept it as one.

*goes off to play with FRE...err...do my homework...