Author Topic: What license is FSO under?  (Read 1611 times)

What license is FSO under?
We are debating on how to distribute our source code.  So what license if any is FSO under?

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
AFAIK, the source was released as Open with Volition owning the code rights, and later it was GPL'd.  Hope this helps :).
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

FSO is gpl'ed?

Offline Solatar

Indeed, first I've heard that it was GPL.

I'm not quite up to speed on all of this, but is GPL anything to do with GNU?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's not GPL. It's close but not quite.

The FSO source can't be used in any for profit way. I don't know if you have to distribute the source though like you have to with GPL.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Originally posted by karajorma
It's not GPL. It's close but not quite.

The FSO source can't be used in any for profit way. I don't know if you have to distribute the source though like you have to with GPL.

Thats what we were wondering.  Since we are working of full game for our club we don't really want to release the source code for cheating purposes.  But if it is GPL and we have to release the code then we will.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I don't think you have to... but I know nothing about law... :p
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Fractux

The scentence in the released V source code didn't say you had to release your source code, just that you couldn't sell it.

* All source code herein is the property of Volition, Inc. You may not sell
 * or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the
 * source.
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
I think that there are the terms of use in all the source files, btw it's not gpl afaik (or people would be able to sell it;))

One of the finer points of the GPL is that if one of the coders wants his code as GPL then basically everybody else does too.  So if one of the FSO is using the GPL then other works using that code must follow it as well.  This is what I've been lead to believe, if its true or not I don't know.

If you use GPL code, the entire thing has to be GPL. At least, that's AFAIK. I last read the license over a year ago. No-one here should have used GPL code, because then the GPL license and the :V: license conflict. GPL allows money to be made from the code, :V: explicilty forbids it.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm