Author Topic: Ship limits  (Read 2159 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Grimloq
is that even possible?

I assume he means he'll edit his single player missions to make multiplayer missions but it is actually possible to have a mission which is both single and multplayer at the same time.

Simply open the mission in notepad and edit the +Game Type Flags:  section from 1 to 11.

I have no idea what happens if you start using SEXPs that expect multiplayer in a singleplayer game though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
The issue with the limits is the packet size in multiplayer, from what I understand. Think of it like mail. You can only fit so much inside an envelope before you have to get a bigger one; FS2_Open either needs to divide the ship limits-dependant data in between envelopes or use a bigger one.

Doing that has been talked about but it's yet to be done; the only person with significant experience with the netcode is Kazan, who's disappeared for the time being.

This couldn't be overcome by a -load_only_used_ships flag could it?  We have a semi-functional one for weapons after all.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

It doesn't load anything but the used models in a mission anyway, I think.  That's why you can't just run FS2 once to get all of the IBX files made in one pass, IIRC.
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.