Author Topic: quick question about small caps  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
quick question about small caps
facing a problem here while fredding FH2261. Same one like in FH2259 M5 but more severe:

Small caps, for example the Drazi Sunhawk or the Vorlon Cruiser start evading (unsuccessfull of course) when being shot at. Tried with waypoints and the no-dynamic-goals flag but no change.

Can this be overcome without changing tables?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Re: quick question about small caps
Can this be overcome without changing tables?

It's a downside of the gunship class. There are a few pros. You just found one of the cons. If you don't mind using the Inferno class you can create a TBM for a new variant on the affected ships that's identical except that it uses cruiser instead of gunship. That will give you greater control, but probably break other things. I suggest looking at objecttypes.tbl for differnces between cruiser and gunship. You could also try "no dynamic goals" but that never seemed like it did what it said on the tin in my experience.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 01:19:57 pm by IPAndrews »
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Vidmaster

It's FortuneHunters, so INF build is the only option.
Damn.
Now I am stuck. Let's see if I can redo the mission.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Difference between 'gunship' and 'cruiser' is immense. This is due to the hard coded (internal) SIF_CRUISER and SIF_BIG_SHIP flags that the cruiser has but the gunship doesn't (atleast not yet).
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Can't you just make copy the table entry into a tbm, give it a new name and cruiser class, and use alt-name in game to make it look like the original class?  That way it doesn't break anything existing.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Yes. That's what I suggested three messages back ;). It's the cleanest solution for what he wants to do. He wants a gunship to behave like a cruiser.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I saw that and expanded it with the new name and alt-name ideas so it doesn't interfere with the ship in any other missions. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Ok well that's exactly what I meant. You just described it better. Nobody should ever, ever, ever override an original ship class with a new one of the same name that behaves differently. Or I will personally kill them.

Terran Emperor take note :D.

Offline Vidmaster

okay, tutorial please. No idea how to do this.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
All the Inferno build only ships are in a tbm. Copy the format of that file. But you only need one ship class. An identical copy of the existing ship class from the main ships.tbl file, but with the class changed from "gunship" to "cruiser".

Offline Vidmaster

well, I need this for the Drazi Sunhawk, the Vorlon Cruiser and the Drakh Gunship. Hm, lets see  :blah:

there's a ships and a ships-adv table in the vp.
Just copy (not cut) the entry for (for example) the Vorlon Gunship and paste it under capships? And change the name?

That's it? And then add this one to my vp and it won't break anything, especially compatibility? Cant believe it, sounds to easy to be correct  :rolleyes:  What's not correct.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 01:57:34 pm by Vidmaster »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
tbM

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Extract ships.tbl.  Copy the .tbm file and replace the entries with those from the three ships you mentioned.  Rename the ships and change the class.  The only think I'm not sure about is the name for the new .tbm file.   Try additional-shp1.tbm and see what happens. 

Nope it's <whatever>-shp.tbm
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 02:32:31 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
There is one small catch.  After doing this you will need FH to be a mod in the launcher and in it's own directory under TBP. 

The Vorlon ship already is a cruiser.  Sent you a tbm with the other 2.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 02:32:49 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
As long as no existing classes are duplicated (and thus overridden) in the tbm there is no need for FH to be a mod in the launcher. The new ship classes will simply appear in the ship list after the existing ones, as the Inferno only ships presently do. When running the retail non-debug non-inferno FSOpen it will silently throw an error about ships past the ship limit. When using the Inferno FSOpen no error and the ships will work.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Yes but then if more people start putting stuff in tbm files and putting their vp files in the main TBP folder we'll end up with a big confused mess. 

Offline Vidmaster

FUB send me a file and prevents me from messing around. Thx!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:19:00 am by Vidmaster »