Author Topic: Sol: A History - Problem  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Gai Daigoji

• Gekigangar!
    • http://www.freewebs.com/neo-terra
Sol: A History - Problem
I played this campaign with retail, few months ago I decided to pack my bags and upgrade to SCP.

So the other day I thought I'd like to play this campaign with the SCP glory. However it doesn't seem to work correctly. Upon starting a mission I am presented with nothing but fighters when there should be cap-ships.

So I did a fresh install, new pilot etc. Still same problem.

So I placed everything into a new data folder, then a new folder call SAH. Mod linked it into the SCP control panel - still same problem.

I'm using Taylor's latest build - any ideas on whats wrong and how I can correct it?
Freespace 2: Neo-Terra - My Freespace 2 website that holds my completed FS2 campaigns.

Darkness Rising - Current campaign I'm working on.

Mission Designer for the Wing Commander Saga.

CURRENT PROJECT: Darkness Rising, WCS
COMPLETED PROJECTS: Neo-Terra, Unification Prequel, Solar Wars Chapter 1, Deep Blood, Return to Neo-Terra (Part 1).

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
SCP is a lot stricter than Retail and the SAH tables are not in best shape, so it doesn't work with FSOpen, alas.

I too am having problems with Sol: A history.

On the second campaign the level, "The end of an era" I find that at a certain point the game will crash out to windows. (not too long after the first bombers jump in)

I have used a normal FS2 installation with NO SCP installed.

My installation order was as follows

FS2. (Retail version, NOT the Underdogs version)
FS2 patch.
Inferno mod - in main FS2 Dir. (No release 1 patch)
Sol Mod.

I created a user for the Sol Mod which has already done Campaign 1 and has been used for Campaign 2. I did not create a new user for Campaign 2. Does this affect the game at all?

P.S Inferno and Sol are some of the most impressive mods I've seen

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Hmmmm. I've got no idea what could be causing this one. Retail was always fairly stable. I guess you'll have to wait for Blaise or someone who's played the campaign on retail to solve it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
I think it's something to do with the number of ships in Alpha to Epsilon wings; sometimes FS2 goes a little crazy and refuses to run a mission with all five wings.

If you change Delta or Epsilon to Sigma, say (using 'Replace All' in Notepad) then it should clear up, I think.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Still make a backup, though. Just in case.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Blaise Russel
I think it's something to do with the number of ships in Alpha to Epsilon wings; sometimes FS2 goes a little crazy and refuses to run a mission with all five wings.

IIRC the problem is caused by having more than 12 ship present in Alpha to Epsilon wing. As you say the problem is intermittant and should be fixed in FS2_Open (I vaguely remember Goober saying something about having fixed it when he added the new wing name code).

Offline Roanoke

Originally posted by karajorma

IIRC the problem is caused by having more than 12 ship present in Alpha to Epsilon wing. As you say the problem is intermittant and should be fixed in FS2_Open (I vaguely remember Goober saying something about having fixed it when he added the new wing name code).

Yeah, I seem to recall Goober saying that, and the only prob would be the loadout screen being cluttered.

Originally posted by Blaise Russel

If you change Delta or Epsilon to Sigma, say (using 'Replace All' in Notepad) then it should clear up, I think.

How do  go about doing so? Did I forget to mention that I'm a newbie? :rolleyes:

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Missions can be opened from Notepad or WordPad

Go to the Replace window and type in Epsilon, then Sigma and select Change All. That will overwrite all data regarding 'Epsilon' to 'Sigma'. This is good for you because if you have the problem that BR said, the problem is that all five possible wings are on your wingmen list. If you name a wing Sigma (or any other of the greek alphabet), then that wing will not be displayed in the wingmen window.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

That did the trick :cool:
would there be a permanent fix for this or do we have to keep coming back here? :p

Offline gaberad

Hey, how do I run Sol: A History on a vanilla installation of FS2?

I was running it via FS2_Open trough Inferno, but all the ships were all the same, and in the second mission protecting the peacekeeper the ships would just circle around.

So I'm trying to run it on a non-FS2_open installation, but have no idea how to get Inferno to run. I thought I would have to put '-mod INFR1' (INFR1 is where Inferno + patch is installed in the FS2 root foler) in a shortcut to the fs2.exe, but that wasn't working. Could someone please help?

Heres what I did. Install FS2, update it, copy/move the INF_Main.vp into the root FS2 directory.

Check to see if it runs, you should get a new main menu screen.

Install the Sol mod by extracting the contents of the Zip file into the FS2 directory (e.g C:\Games\Freespace 2) , make sure "Use Folder Names" is ticked and click extract

You should see new campains under the Campaign button in the main menu.

Thats what I did to run Inferno.

Hey a fellow Kiwi :cool:

Offline gaberad

Cheers bro, that worked. Pity S:AH doesn't work well with SCP, the graphics seem real outdated

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
All SAH needs in order to work is a table update. Should be no more than 30 minutes work for someone who knows the Inferno tables well.