Author Topic: Best mods to add to the basic FS2  (Read 2008 times)

Offline stinger

Best mods to add to the basic FS2
hi there played this game back when it was released but never saw any part in the online community/mod - since i didnt have good internet .. but now i've just reinstalled and and am having a ball - seing how big the comunity work was/is i'm wondering if some of you ppl can direct me what mods / campaigns i should try out .

Thank you for the time. ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Best mods to add to the basic FS2
I presume by basic FS2 you mean retail FS2 and not FS2_Open (If you don't know what that means take a look in the Source code project forum).

A full(ish) list of what is available can be found on Skippy's Campain List. Anything without the little SCP badge besides it should work on retail (although bizarrely Derelict's remix is down as non-SCP :wtf: ).

My reccomendations would be Derelict and Homesick. Lots of people liked those two.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Pretty much anything by Blaise Russel and Ransom Arceihn is good. If you have an up-to-date system you should probably try and get FS2_Open working, things will at least look much better and a number of the good campaigns actually require it.

Anyway, large/notable campaigns (ie mostly my favorites):
Derelict
The Aeos Affair
Sync
Transcendant
Homesick
Shrouding the Light
Inferno (Don't let me catch you pimping it as FS3 though)

Dishonorable mention:
The Second Great War Part 2, if I'm remembering that right. The sheer crapiness of this campaign makes it worth playing at least a few missions. Basically the mission designer didn't bother to name ships, threw in a bunch of Colossuses and Sathanii, and had some subplot about the commander of the GTVA military handing his post over to one of Bosch's Lieutenants so that he could look at a Sathanas that he stole.
-C

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
There are only three as far as I'm concerned.

Derelict
Warzone
BlackWater Operations (demo until it's finished).

Offline stinger

wow thanx  i will get into that ...

.. ive just descovered SCP  :eek2: and am playing the main campaign with the shiny new models and textures .. AWSOME ! :) then can't wait to try out custom campaigns and missions !

yay ! best ideea i had yet  to download this
thank you all ! its cool to discover such a strong community for smth you thought was lost

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
The Babylon Project too, is technically a FS2 total conversion. The Freespace 1 conversion is always fun too.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.