Author Topic: mv_effects & mv_adveffects performance issues  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
mv_effects & mv_adveffects performance issues
I can run SCP very well with all of the VP's.....except these two. So I tried to take one of them out, no effect. I take the other out and put the other one back in, no effect. Removing both of them does work, but screws up the weapons effects.

The problems I am having are not the beam issues, I have the patch installed. The problem is something else. Right now I am at the second SOC mission in the FS2 campaign. When I start the mission, I get a whopping 4 FPS. It is choppy and unplayable. However, after the Sathanas jumps, the framerate goes up to 14 FPS, but is still close to unplayable and a little choppy. However, and at seemingly random times it will become extremely choppy and totally unplayable.

It does this only when mv_effects or mv_adveffects or both of them are in the FS2 folder. Is there a lower end version of these files, or what can I do about it?

EDIT: I don't know if something like has been posted before. I am using 3.6.8 Media VPs.

EDIT1: I just had a thought, does anyone have links to an older version of the mv_effects and mv adveffects VPs?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 04:17:04 am by Kosh »
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline neoterran

Re: mv_effects & mv_adveffects performance issues
This doesn't sound like your problem but you can always use the low end 3d shockwaves or mid range ones at http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,38016.0.html.

The ones in the mediavps are too high end for many slightly older graphics cards.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline DuncanF

• What makes a man is not who he is,but what he does
Also what type of processor and video card do you have?  As the effects and adv_effects are quite high quality and are known to slow you down if your card can't handle it.  I have a radeon 9800 pro, and couldn't run the full adv_effects, had to extract the files I wanted manually from the vp and throw them in the data files until I started getting slow down.  I believe it's reccomended you have at least a radeon x800 and AMD 64 for the full adv_effects.
Until Next,
Duncan

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
I have a P4 2.4GHz and a Radeon 9250. I can view almost anything EXCEPT the super-high-end shockwaves. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
P4 2.4 GHz, Mobility Radeon 7500 16 MB

I extracted most of the stuff from the effects VPs, and it seems to handle it pretty good (getting 100+ FPS most of the time).......except when I look at a sun or at a jump node with a couple of ships. When I look into a sun my framerates collapse to about 8 or 9. But most of the time this happens just when I look at a sun. What's the deal with that?

EDIT: Oh, and the hi-poly Aeolus murders my framerates too.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 10:02:02 am by Kosh »
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key