Author Topic: No beam weapons?  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Lucy

I've installed The Babylon Project but not ships are able to use beam weapons

The pulse-style weapons are all fine, but if I have a ship, EG a Sharlin attacking anything, it will just cruiser up to it and stop, or fly around, while the opposing ship/s take no damage,

Same goes for an Omega, it can blaze away with its intercepters and pulse cannons, but no beams, same goes with any other ship with beams

Seems eally weird to me

I have a AMD Duron 800mhz
32mb Geforce2mx2 card
256mb RAM
100GB hard drive

Does anyone have any ideas?

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
First of all Welcome Lucy :welcome:

Is this happening in your own created missions, if they are you've got to enable them by either using the beam freeall sexp or ticking the tab (all beams free by default) in the mission spec.
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline Lucy

Nevermind I found a post a few pages in that might have fixed it

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
You need to beam-free your ships in the events editor. Also...ships like the Omega do not work very well on the AI for FreeSpace 2.  That AI just assumes all ships have broadside weeapons and they do a nice little circle.  Omega's and most TBP ships have to be scripted in their movements so that they bring their weapons to bear.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Lucy

That was the one, had to free all beam weapons. Works great now :D

Hope, I've got the same problem, so you can answer it here:

I have NOT created own missions (I'm too dumb for it, i fear...) but in the official mission pack (1.10) in the simulator missions there are no beam weapons used. So:
- is this the same proble at all?
- where can i "free" the beam weapons? (I have never used fred!!! plz give me a step by step description, or I will be lost!)

Thx a lot!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You're describing something that sounds like a problem with the game or the mission rather than something the user needs to be fixing. Which ships aren't using their beams but should be?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Well, there is this simulator mission where you fly a thunderbolt and have to clear a centaury vessel before an earth alliance cruiser (the JUNO) jumps in. (to help you finish of 2 other centauris)
NONE of the ships uses beams and i was pretty sure that they should. (shouldn't they?)

Excuse me if I was wrong, but this was the only sequence when I thought there HAD to be beam weapons. In the Campaigns I have not progressed far enough to have reached such a point.

Hope, this was no false alarm......

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Well, there is this simulator mission where you fly a thunderbolt and have to clear a centaury vessel before an earth alliance cruiser (the JUNO) jumps in. (to help you finish of 2 other centauris)
NONE of the ships uses beams and i was pretty sure that they should. (shouldn't they?)

Excuse me if I was wrong, but this was the only sequence when I thought there HAD to be beam weapons. In the Campaigns I have not progressed far enough to have reached such a point.

Hope, this was no false alarm......

this must be a false alarm

It's "liberation of A..." or something like it?
 the centauri cruisers are vorchans which don't have beam-guns (see http://www.b5tech.com/centauri/centauriships/centauricapships/vorchan.html for details)
the omega has two beams in the front which have a limited firing arc (they only fire when the target is right in front of the ship) und a rather short range (don't ask me how close the target needs to be) and 4 back near the engines (nearly the same settings for these)

to your campaign-progress statement...
didn't you play Earth-Minabri-War? Right in the first mission a sharlin appears and shows what real beam actions is :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 07:43:53 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Definitly false alarm. The mission was liberation of a.... thx for the explanation.
Tried Mimbari-War, and... well, yes, they DO have beam weapons! Thx!