Author Topic: New Shivan Beams... Borked?  (Read 2897 times)

New Shivan Beams... Borked?
Since all the crap I've accumulated in my /fs2 directory has been blocking a fair bit of the improvements over the last several months, there's a lot I haven't seen that's probably old hat to most of you.  I can see nebulas now, for instance. :)

However, at least on my rig the new Shivan beam effects look pants.  The AAAf is a jarring combination of red and white polys that looks like it's missing a glow, and the larger Shivan beams look much worse (to my eye) than the new TV ones.  The new beamglows all kick ass, and I like the new Shivan one, but the beams themselves seem to be broken.

I tried to get a screencap, but the jarring appearance isn't really obvious unless it's moving.  I can only describe it as a jumble of solid-white and solid-red sections, without the 'red beam with white core' effect the old ones (and the new TV ones) had.  I'm not 100% on when these new effects came in, and the damn search is broken anyway, so I apologise if this is a dead horse. 

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Re: New Shivan Beams... Borked?
I'd clear out my directories, and get the new vp's and patches...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Since all the crap I've accumulated in my /fs2 directory has been blocking a fair bit of the improvements over the last several months, there's a lot I haven't seen that's probably old hat to most of you.  I can see nebulas now, for instance. :)

However, at least on my rig the new Shivan beam effects look pants.  The AAAf is a jarring combination of red and white polys that looks like it's missing a glow, and the larger Shivan beams look much worse (to my eye) than the new TV ones.  The new beamglows all kick ass, and I like the new Shivan one, but the beams themselves seem to be broken.

I tried to get a screencap, but the jarring appearance isn't really obvious unless it's moving.  I can only describe it as a jumble of solid-white and solid-red sections, without the 'red beam with white core' effect the old ones (and the new TV ones) had.  I'm not 100% on when these new effects came in, and the damn search is broken anyway, so I apologise if this is a dead horse. 

I was in a hurry, because I worked non this stuff right before the MV pack release. I didn't alter the table values, or even the fps for the effect. Maybe somebody would like to take care of this. I'd appreciate it.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Firecrack, I did.  That's why all this new stuff works! :)

Dabrain, I was pretty sure they weren't meant to be that way.  I had considered there was some artistic statement being made that was over my head, tho... :)  I don't know enough about the beam entries to adjust them, unfortunately.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Ah, is it a jagged monstrosity, if os try my fix in the media vp patch for the 27'th thread
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."