Author Topic: SuSE 10 and FS2 Open  (Read 2349 times)

Offline CaptJosh

I mentioned this in a rather offhand manner in another thread, but I felt it deserved its own thread.

SuSE 10, while it may look very nice has some major issues due to the fact that it is using new versions of glibc and the gcc. Because it's using the new versions, even though I have been able to compile FS2 Open, I have not been able to run it in any fashion. I have a programmer buddy that I'm rooming with right now who has been able to compile his own optimized compiler which he wrote, then use that to recompile the sources for his optimized compiler, at which point, the compiler cannot compile any of his other sources. Odds are there are any number of things that will compile, but not run.

IMO SuSE 10 is not ready for primetime. However, do feel free to doublecheck me on this and see if you can get it to run where I failed.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Alneyan

I don't know anything about Suse, but I did have a similar problem with Ubuntu 5.10 (though on different programs). This distrib comes with very recent compiling libraries and gcc 4.0, with no support for previous versions of gcc. Gcc 4.0 is pretty much incompatible with anything not written specifically for it (I cannot even compile a "Hello world" program under it, even though it works well enough with gcc 3.4).

After a couple failing builds, I've downloaded gcc 3.4 and all its prerequisites, C++ support and so on. Now I can compile these programs with ease, and ./configure seems to pick the correct version of gcc on its own. You should be able to "downgrade" to gcc 3.X; if not, Suse users will probably have a *very* interesting life during the transition to gcc 4.0.

Again, I haven't had anything to do with Suse myself, so the above post may be pretty useless to you. Well, at least I tried.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Why is GCC 4.0 so messed?
-C

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Seems to work here (Debian). Maybe its a SuSE only problem?

Offline CaptJosh

It's more that it's brand new and needs some work yet. I'd say wait for SuSE 10.2 before trying it with the SCP. Usually by the .2 version, SuSE has most of the bugs worked out. I would also note that it's not JUST the new GCC. SuSE 10 also employs the new glibc. Version 3, IIRC.
CaptJosh

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The FS2_Open code was cleaned up for GCC 4 earlier last year and is now compatible with the various Linux versions that I've tried as well as Apple's version for OS X.  That's not to say that it hasn't broken for GCC 4 several times over the past year, but it works more often than not.  If the GCC 4 in SuSE is getting a lot of code changes from them then it's a SuSE problem and not a FS2_Open problem.  Distribution specific compiler bugs won't be fixed in FS2_Open unless there is a *very* good reason for it.

Offline CaptJosh

Since nobody noticed the edit of my last post, let me make a note on this. It's not just the GCC4 it's also the new glibc that SuSE 10, and my best friend, a long time Linux programmer (over a decade of linux programming experience, 15 years general programming experience), believes it is more an issue with the new glibc than with GCC4.
CaptJosh

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The compiler and the version of libc are basically linked.  If it was just a pure problem with GCC4 then the code wouldn't compile.  That it doesn't run properly shows that it's more to do with glibc than the compiler.

(Just to acknowledge that I had seen your other post, but didn't respond as I've been through this already with Red Hat and don't care to recognize that anyone still screws over their user base like this...  It's a "in my own personal universe" thing. :))