Author Topic: Interesting.  (Read 2095 times)

Offline ]C[rusader

• Ouch.

S: "Hello, Alpha One.  Rearm is proceeding."

A1: "Thanks, support.  Your dedication brings a tear to my eye.  Say, y'all don't happen to have a Subach handy, wouldja?  I scrambled in such a hurry, I forgot to load my second primary slot..."

S: "Well, normally you'd be out of luck, but today it just so happens that we've got a spare in the trunk."

A1: "Great!"
Open foot, insert mouth.

Offline Parias

I'll certainly echo the sentiment of 'interesting' - though you might want to try a slightly less abusive image-compression style so that your images could be slightly more legible, heh.

Offline ]C[rusader

• Ouch.
[puzzled] Are you referring to the thumbnails?  Or, to the gifs at which they link?  Or both?
Open foot, insert mouth.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Yeah, that's a known thing, I don't even think it's considered a problem, although I'd start using 3D models for ship selection, it looks a lot better (as would any screenshot that wasn't in 16 colors) both your thumbnails and your actuall screenshots look if you'll forgive, horrible, and it's not due to your skill at taking screenshots, but rather your compression techniques.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
I've gotten that before on earlier builds, what version do you have?

And before you answer, if you're using the 3.6.7 official like all the other newbies that come across, get a newer one. :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline ]C[rusader

• Ouch.
@Mars
[more puzzled] i sense your comments are describing the finer points of apples, whereas my post was intended to address the merits of oranges.

@Cobra
3.6.9RC2, actually.
Open foot, insert mouth.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Now that is an interesting find ]C[rusader. I never knew that support ships would do that so it's an interesting find.

On the other hand this makes things harder when I finally get around to implementing team loadout for weapons. :hopping: :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline ]C[rusader

• Ouch.
@karajorma
The on-point nature of your reply is appreciated. 

And i agree, the occurrence is quite interesting.  It was an accidental find [cue recap]: i edited "Their Finest Hour" to include Zeus spacecraft, and was using the Maxim primary plus a Subach (as backup, versus fighters).  At some point i stopped engaging fighters altogether, so the Subach became unnecessary, and thus i left one primary empty at loadout.  Later in the mission i was then bewildered to see a Prometheus-R in the empty spot; for a moment i doubted my sanity, but a quick test pointed to the support ship adding the Prometheus during rearm.

i did perform searches both here and on Mantis before posting, to verify whether or not this was known, and didn't come across any mention of it.  Since i had no idea whether or not it is a bug or feature, i simply described it as "interesting".  (Personally i find it slightly problematic, because if i deliberately go with only one primary, i don't want another added in mid-mission.)

Now that several people have responded, i'm a little surprised... some say the rearm-primary-thing was known, yet some appear to have been unaware.  Very strange.  i wonder: is it FS-Open specific?  Does it happen in retail behaviour as well?
Open foot, insert mouth.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Quote from: The top of ship_do_rearm_frame()
    // AL 10-31-97: Add missing primary weapons to the ship.  This is required since designers
    //                    want to have ships that start with no primaries, but can get them through
    //                            rearm/repair
Though I didn't notice it either, I have actually seen it before.  It's something that just didn't register in my brain as an issue for some reason I guess.  So, it's not a bug, it's in retail, but something that we should probably make optional at some point (after 3.6.9, don't bother asking for it sooner).

Offline ]C[rusader

• Ouch.
@taylor
Fascinating!  Thank you very very much for that. 

And yes, optionality would be nice, though i concur that it doesn't seem to need implementation at the moment, or in any rush.
Open foot, insert mouth.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I doubted that it was a bug. I was only annoyed because if I impliment the improved team loadout for weapons I'm now going to have to keep track of any primaries that a support ship supplies too (and secondary weapons being supplied by support ship are probably the main reason I haven't implemented team loadout for weapons already).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]