Author Topic: RW bug/problem at mission 07  (Read 2315 times)

RW bug/problem at mission 07
Hi, I've been playing the RW campaign and now I'm kinda stuck. When I try to run RW mission 07 (that after "Nobody expects...") the game just freezes up when loading mission 07 and pops me back to windows saying this:

Error: Argument count is illegal.

In sexpression: ( when
   ( has-time-elapsed 45 )
   ( turret-lock-all "EA Scylla" )
   ( clear-goals "EA Scylla" )
   ( explosion-effect
      ( get-object-x
         "EA Scylla"
         "<None>"
      )
      ( get-object-y
         "EA Scylla"
         "<None>"
      )
      ( get-object-z
         "EA Scylla"
         "<None>"
      )
   )
   ( deactivate-glow-points "EA Scylla" )
   ( deactivate-glow-maps "EA Scylla" )
   ( sabotage-subsystem
      "EA Scylla"
      "Hull"
   )
   ( sabotage-subsystem
      "EA Scylla"
      "engine01"
   )
   ( sabotage-subsystem
      "EA Scylla"
      "engine02"
   )
   ( sabotage-subsystem
      "EA Scylla"
      "engine03"
   )
   ( sabotage-subsystem
      "EA Scylla"
      "engine04"
   )
   ( sabotage-subsystem
      "EA Scylla"
      "engine05"
   )
)
(Error appears to be: get-object-x)
File:mission/missionparse.cpp
Line: 4688
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm using all the "official" base downloads (3.2 -> 3.3 -> 3.3a) and mission packs (EMW 2.0, MP1 1.0, RW 2.0 -> 2.2). As .exe I'm using fs2_open_367.exe. I have tried fixing the problem by changing the .exes (like using 367_d.exe and such) and modifying the graphics-things to see if that would fix the problem, but with no effect.
Help would be nice.

Few other things: If that popup-problem-window could be resized it would be nice, because you can't see for example if there is at the bottom "OK" "Cancel" or "Debug" buttons.
And is it made so at mission 04 that there is two huge asteroids that explode in front of you when you start the mission? It was really annoying when you had like 4-5 seconds lifetime from the start and you couldn't get away from them without getting serious damage. You lose your wingmen also on those two big explosions.

Hope you can help me in these questions.  :nervous:

Edit: And yes, I've tried to use for example 3.6.9 RC7 to fix the problem, but the launcher then says "failed to read the flag file"
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 09:31:38 am by Dominator131 »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Re: RW bug/problem at mission 07
From the RW2.2 patch thread.

Note: This patch is to make RW playable with newer versions of the game engine.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

From the RW2.2 patch thread.

Note: This patch is to make RW playable with newer versions of the game engine.

Well, that worked for mission 07, but when I get to mission 08 the game just freezes up when starting the mission and throws you back to windows popping up a message from windows with that usual contact microsoft and send an error report-stuff.

Report when using 367_d.exe:

(400 lines of loading)
=================== ENDING LOAD ================
Real count = 5160,  Estimated count = 2311
================================================
Received post for event GS_EVENT_PLAYER_WARPOUT_DONE_STAGE2 during state transtition. Find

Allender if you are unsure if this i
s bad.
Frame  0 too long!!: frametime = 17.402 (17.402)
Got event GS_EVENT_PLAYER_WARPOUT_DONE_STAGE2 (57) in state GS_STATE_TRAINING_PAUSED (44)
Throwing out event 15 because of state set from 44 to 45
Loading 2_RedAlert-m.pcx for the first time.
MEMLEAK DEBUG: lock pcx
Loading 2_RedAlert.pcx for the first time.
Loading cursor.ani for the first time.
ANI cursor.ani with size 24x24 (25.0% wasted)
Loading 2_RAB_010001.pcx for the first time.
Loading 2_RAB_010002.pcx for the first time.
Got event GS_EVENT_ENTER_GAME (2) in state GS_STATE_MULTI_HELP (45)
Entering game at time =  23.064
Int3(): From parse/sexp.cpp at line 8994

Edit: adder error report
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 11:33:43 am by Dominator131 »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Tell you what, I'll let you look through the old threads this time.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Tell you what, I'll let you look through the old threads this time.

Well I've been looking thru the threads for all day (using the search function, but don't perhaps then use the right keywords), my best guess is that I should create a new pilot and play all from the beginning *sigh* or I should get an older build and try with that...

Edit: Well using 365_d didn't work, the game doesn't even start up anymore when I'm using that exe.
Perhaps I should get drunk now and then try tomorrow with creating a new pilot (in a terrible hangover).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 12:55:26 pm by Dominator131 »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Edit: And yes, I've tried to use for example 3.6.9 RC7 to fix the problem, but the launcher then says "failed to read the flag file"
If you read through THIS stickied thread, you'll see that some more modern builds have troubles with backwards compatability due to changes in the turret animation code, and with the beam piercing thing.  You may want to consider switching to the 2005-12-22 build series.  That build can be used without any table alterations, however the thread I linked gives instructions about how to properly setup for either the 2006-01-09 build, also included, or for more modern builds.  If you're gonna use a build any newer than a few months, I advise you to read the WHOLE thing.

[Edit]   Step 6 added to the install proceedure thread, to cover compatability with more recent builds.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 08:11:01 pm by Trivial Psychic »
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

If you read through THIS stickied thread, you'll see that some more modern builds have troubles with backwards compatability due to changes in the turret animation code, and with the beam piercing thing.  You may want to consider switching to the 2005-12-22 build series.  That build can be used without any table alterations, however the thread I linked gives instructions about how to properly setup for either the 2006-01-09 build, also included, or for more modern builds.  If you're gonna use a build any newer than a few months, I advise you to read the WHOLE thing.

[Edit]   Step 6 added to the install proceedure thread, to cover compatability with more recent builds.

Thanks for help, but that didn't fix it either. I did what was told in that thread, but it didn't fix the problem. Tried a few times, and checked that I did the changes the right way a few times and tried using different builds, but the changes didn't do much good as the launcher-program still said "failed to read flag file" when using other builds than 365_d, 367, 367_d or fs_open_r. After that didn't work, I uninstalled the whole thing and then re-installed it to another directory, copied my pilot over and tried to start the mission, but it threw me back to windows. Then I did again according to what was said in Trivial Psychic's thread, tried choosing different options from the launcher, but it still didn't work. Now I am getting seriously frustrated or seriously dumb.

Edit: Now I've managed to get that "failed to read flag file" thingie away (when I found this: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,35766.0.html ). Still the game crashes and returns to windows whenever I try to start the mission using whatever build.

Edit2: Well, after listening to Led Zeppeling and drinking a couple of beers I managed to get inside the game, not using debugged 369, but the retail-thingie. So, my solution to the problem was:
When I had RW 2.2 installed, I realized that http://www.b5-project.com/mission_downloads.php and http://babylon.hard-light.net/mission_downloads.php did NOT have the same RW downloads, so I uninstalled RW and then re-installed it back to 2.0 then 2.1.
After that I got mission 07 working. Then I stumbled to the problem with mission 08 and got stuck there for a couple of days. Then after various different attempts I read through this: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,39708.0.html and made the changes to use the newer builds. Then I solved the "failed to read the flag file" problem and tried to use different builds to start the mission, luckily 369 RC7 worked for me. Now I'm just gonna wait 'til the game crashes again...
*relief*  :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 01:03:16 pm by Dominator131 »