Author Topic: Settings not working/taking effect?  (Read 1708 times)

Offline miskat

Settings not working/taking effect?
Alright... I know this has been mentioned in the past, but I can't find the topic again, and when I HAD seen it I couldn't really udnerstand the solution.  Anyway:  I was messing around with my -ambient_factor, and -spec settings to get some more atmosphere (is it just me or does this term seem ironic, given the game?) out of the game.  Well... after about fifteen minutes of starting and restarting FS2_open, I noticed that nothing seemed to be changing... at all.

I remember in the last topic I saw on the matter, someone said something about pilot files....  I'm going to be very very sad if this means I have to lose my campaign progression.  ;_;

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Settings not working/taking effect?
You shouldn't have to change pilots because of an error in the settings.

Worst case senario simply go into your Freespace2 folder and delete your launcher6.ini and flags.lch files and just set up the launcher from scratch again.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
You did press "Apply" before running the game, right? :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Shouldn't matter as long as you didn't press cancel :)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
What is it there for then? What's its purpose? :confused:

If OK saves the settings and quits the launcher, and Run starts the game with current settings, is Apply just if you prefer to quit the launcher by pressing cancel?

In that case pressing Apply -> Cancel would do excactly the same thing as OK does. So why is the Apply button there, if it's not necessary for making the current cmdline functional?

Is it some kind of a living fossil, a button that just likes to hang in there with no purpose?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
What do you do if you set some features and then realising you want to run a debug build rather than release? If you just change the build the launcher resets to the last saved set of command lines. Apply prevents you from having to click OK and then reloading the launcher :)

Offline miskat

Well... I'm honestly not sure if I've gotten the settings to work since I haven't seen a truly noticable difference.

Ah well.  I'm running:

C:\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_9-7dot9x.exe -mod mediavps -spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -missile_lighting -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -alpha_env  -pcx32 -ambient_factor 0 -spec_exp 5 -spec_point 1.0 -spec_static 0.4 -spec_tube 1.0

now, and it's alright.  But I tacked the brightness down in game to 0.95 and that made it a little better.

Now... I remember there being a custom command-line extension that disabled ALL ambient lighting.  And it wasn't -ambient_factor 0 either.  =/  Can't find it in the forum for the life of me though!.  >.<

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
-no_emissive_light

Disables the slight glow that every object will shine into space regardless of direct and ambient light hitting the surface. Separate from ambient light.

I am running command line

$ fs2_open_3_6_9-7dot9x.exe -mod <mod folders> -spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -missile_lighting -img2dds -no_vsync -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -alpha_env -fps  -no_emissive_light -ambient_factor 18 -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1 -fov 0.60

Offline miskat

AhHA!  Beautiful!  Thanks a bunch!

God... playing this game in the dark really helps, too.  'Cept then I can't see my keyboard.

I need to get my n52 working on this beast of a game.  XD