Author Topic: Bravo Microsoft!  (Read 4299 times)

@ Flipside:  Agreed.  The only contribution Adobe has made to the PDF format since its inception is mass proliferation.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
And anyway, good for them. I hate the PDF format - the default Adobe reader is so amazingly bloated that I'm afraid to open web pages with a PDF file embedded, for fear of crashing my browser because of the slowness. It honestly is one of the worst programs I have used, especially considering how little it can do (view and save as, basically?).
Get rid of it and try Foxit Reader.  Amazingly small, fast, and free.  At this point I see no reason to install Acrobat Reader ever again.

MS seems to be taking Ballmer's 'developers, developers, developers, ...' line very seriously. .NET was a toe dipped in the water, and they found that by opening .NET to all platforms and providing copious good documentation they got the support of a lot of software devs. .NET is now an attractive platform for many tasks. XPS looks to be the next logical step: an open document standard based upon XML, which is one of the more ridiculously popular buzzwords. Documents stored as XML are going to be huge, but on the other hand, text formats do compress very nicely.

It seems they're learning that releasing correct and detailed documentation for their products does not lead to their technologies being reverse-engineered and stolen (hell, WINE has shown that bad docs and obfuscation are no barrier to that anyway). So now they're being as open as they can be, to see how that works out for them. Admittedly, their stuff wouldn't be so popular now unless they already had a huge market base...

A paranoid conspiracy nut might suggest they had this in mind for the past twenty years (using whatever means necessary to get a large user base, then switching to better practices while in a position of dominance). I personally doubt anyone can look that far ahead.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
If they standardise better practices now, Then that'll just leave a way open for more nefarious business to usurp...   There must be a niche somewhere that needs filling :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Still PDF has been a very effective format. I took a 100mb Published document and created a PDF that was only 200kb. It is a life saver.

No doubt, but if the Microsoft's ass format can do the same thing and comes free, then there really is no comparison. Free **** always wins over something that costs money.

Just because the pressures there i dont think Micr$oft will cave that quickly. :doubt:

I see what you did there! You switched the s with a doller sign! How clever of you!

It would have been clever if he didn't omit an "o".

Oh wait, it'd still be stupid.

Damn.
Dont judge me :(

I must, for you lack apostrophes.

Just for the purpose of having an even bigger quote.

Offline redmenace

Post Count Weeny!
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat