Author Topic: Cyclops has vanished...  (Read 1893 times)

Cyclops has vanished...
Hi, I recently got a yearning to play FS2 again, and after finding freespacezone and learning about the SCP, i was happy as a lark, great work to all who have contributed - just wanted to congratulate you all on a great game

now then, on to an issue i am having, i had never played FS1, so i downloaded the FS1 port, and began playing both games (with a different pilot) anyway, after playing a bit through FS2, i got to my first run against the Ravana with a heavy bomber in the nebula, yay cyclops missiles! - about this point i decided i wanted to see how this whole messed started, so i uploaded FS1 as a mod with the FS2Open Launcher, and began playing the game without any hitches

one day i decided to try my hand at the Ravana run again, without unloading the FS1 mod... opps, anyway, long story short, I got a bunch of debug errors about the Cyclops - I went and unloaded FS1 mod, but now when i try and play just straight FS2, the Ravana mission is screwed up, i have to manuelly select my entire wing's ships, and when i go to weapon loadout i literally have NO weapons, hitting reset will give me and my wing Subach's and Disruptors, but no Promethius-R's and no Cyclops missiles, only Tempest and Swarm

any idea how to fix this? I could create a new pilot but i'd like to see if that could be avoided

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Re: Cyclops has vanished...
I'm no expert but it seems your pilot data is corrupted. So you have to start a new pilot.

You have to be quite careful about pilot and mods. If you start playing a mod with a pilot created for another one that pilot data can be completely messed up.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That's actually a very useful piece of detective work, especially as you have a recently installed version of FS2_Open. Can I just see if I have the chronology correct.

1) You installed FS2 retail from the 3CDs you downloaded.
2) You installed FS2_Open (Presumably using Turey's Installer rather than doing it by hand).
3) You ran the game as specified above.

What I'm trying to grasp is how many different SCP builds have touched the pilot file in question. Was it only one or have you also used older versions of FS2_Open with the same pilot?

Anyway as a reward for your work here's a solution to your problem.

1). Restart your campaign from the campaign room.
2). Download this file and extract it to mediavps/Data/Missions (assuming you have a mediavps folder. If not extract to data/Missions).
3). Restart the campaign again (not certain you need this but it will take you all of 5 seconds).
4). Once you've completed the game remember to find and delete the freespace2.fc2 file that you installed in step 2.

If that doesn't work simply do the same thing with new pilot.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 09:34:27 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Oh and Drakonfire....................

:welcome:

:D
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

couple of things

That's actually a very useful piece of detective work, especially as you have a recently installed version of FS2_Open. Can I just see if I have the chronology correct.

1) You installed FS2 retail from the 3CDs you downloaded.
2) You installed FS2_Open (Presumably using Turey's Installer rather than doing it by hand).
3) You ran the game as specified above.

What I'm trying to grasp is how many different SCP builds have touched the pilot file in question. Was it only one or have you also used older versions of FS2_Open with the same pilot?

one thing i forgot to mention, as an attempted fix i reverted to retail and then reinstalled FS2_Open last night... it is now the newest build and still messed up... and it was just ONE version of Open that it screwed up on (until i reinstalled) -- the pilot that became corrupted was my FS2 campaign pilot, when i tried to play the FS2 campaign while FS1 Mod was active (yeah, oops) - so yes, that was the order of events and it was just one version of SCP that touched my pilot

anyway, thank you all for the help and i'll attempt to apply that fix later tonight after work, thank you very much :D - for the help and for the welcome :D

EDIT: NM, i tried it just now and it worked... i still have to manuelly assemble my squads ships and hit the reset button for my weapons, but the cyclops and prom have made a return, thank you :D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 12:44:10 pm by drakonfire »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've actually noticed a bug in the version I uploaded with the cutscenes. I'll have a replacement up for you in a moment.

EDIT : New version is up. Same location as before.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 02:00:13 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

thanks

oh... and i had to extract it to the second file... the mediavps folder exists, but there is no missions sub-folder

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
thanks

oh... and i had to extract it to the second file... the mediavps folder exists, but there is no missions sub-folder

So just create one in C:/Games/Freespace2/mediavps/data

(in case you don't know, open this folder, right click, new,new folder and name it missions) :D
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions