Author Topic: Keyboard Layout!  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Fozzy

• Wokka wokka wokka!
  • Wanabe A Mighty Modder
    • Fozzy's Myspace
i just noteist a problem with the key bindings when i type in multiplayer!

when i press " , this comes up @ and vice versa,

i was wondering if theres any way users can select there keyboard settings for the SCP. (can it be added to a new version of the installer)

this would help conversations flow more freely...

note: on my UK keyboard the " is abuve the 3 and the @ is abuve the '
The Terran VolksWagen Project - Lol
"that was a little too close, we gota wait fifteen mins to change our shorts" = (snipes, FS2)
I can whoop your ass with my LOGITECH

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The key map is hard-coded, meaning that it can only deal with a US, French, or German keyboard (and only deal properly with a US keyboard).  There is currently no way to change that.  I am working to fix this problem though, but it isn't going to happen until 3.7 since it requires a move to SDL on all platforms and a significant number of changes to the input code, control config, and to how pilot files store control bindings.

EDIT: I should probably add that you can kind or get around this with OS specific work-arounds, which are notably easier to do on Linux.  But the point is that the problem is that the code uses physical key locations to figure out what character to show, which is a seriously bad way to code up something like this.  The move to SDL will simply get rid of the key map and figure out the character to show based on the actual key being pressed rather than some horrid lookup table.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 09:41:17 pm by taylor »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i like sdl, its simple enough so that even my dumb ass can use it :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Fozzy

• Wokka wokka wokka!
  • Wanabe A Mighty Modder
    • Fozzy's Myspace
thanks guys if you want i can find the keys that are maped wrongly on the UK keyboard and post them here.

IDEA: whould it be easer to make country specific font files
The Terran VolksWagen Project - Lol
"that was a little too close, we gota wait fifteen mins to change our shorts" = (snipes, FS2)
I can whoop your ass with my LOGITECH