Author Topic: Dark Lighting  (Read 2785 times)

Offline mnftg64

I have seen on tons of screenshots that people have their lighting really dark and it looks amazing. I have played around with some of FS_Open's lighting commands but havn't gotten anything close. What's the command?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Insert this to your custom command line:

-ambient_factor 0 -no_emissive_light -fov 0.55 -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1

...that's what I'm running the game with.

-ambient_factor reduces the amount of ambient light in the game; I use value zero, you could start from somewhere like 60 and try to find the best value for your eyes.

-no_emissive_light cuts out the dim light that the ships normally emit in dark, which makes them visible on their shadow side. I don't like it so I disable it.

-fov sets the field of view value. IIRC the default value is 0.70, the smaller it is the shallower the field of view - in other words, it zooms in onto the center of the image, and causes things to look bigger. I use value 0.55, as you can see, but 0.60 or 0.65 are also good, and closer to retail field of view. The only problem with field of view setting is that it causes HUD target indicators to move somewhat anomalously, and that background stars start moving more erratically as well.

-spec_* settings affect the specular lighting settings. These values seem to work fine, so I haven't really experimented with them.

You can find more complete command line reference in the Hard Light Wiki, though...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
neat! an oxymoron!

'dark lighting'

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Incidentally, wouldn't that be a fine name for "The Pub"?

Dark Light... reflecting the overall quality of the threads, while being more reminescent of the old title "Hard Light". :lol:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

I produce more hard matter than your dark light. ;7

Offline mnftg64

worked like a charm, thanks!

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I produce more hard matter than your dark light. ;7

"Hmmmm, I see your Schwartz is as big as mine!"   :lol:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions