Author Topic: OS X help!!  (Read 2715 times)

Offline verse

Ok ok, you can say it, i'm a noob when it comes to cross platform gaming, but here it goes...

I have a OS X and want to run the BSG freespace 2 game.
  1. Where and what do I download
  2. How do I run it
  3. Do I need a launcher
  4. What else do I need.....

Any help would be great.

Thanx
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 09:04:55 pm by verse »

Offline Shade

First of all you'll need to wait, as neither the BSG mod or their demo are released yet. Their forum is located Here, and I assume that's where the download links will be put up upon release.

It's supposed to be released as a standalone total conversion, so all the media you'll need for the game will be included in the package they put up once they're done. So, the thing you'll need is a working mac installation as I'd hazard a guess that they'll distribute it with a windows executable - The actual game media will work regardless of platform. I'm not exactly a capacity on mac matters (that's be Taylor. I'm mr. clueless when it comes to macs less than 8 years old), but until he sees this you can try looking Here for the most recent builds (mac versions included), and browse some of the threads in this forum as many common OSX questions have probably already been answered :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
nah, he's with me, and he's a trusted beta tester, so his media issues are all taken care of. 

we just need to know if he needs a launcher and why the version of 3.6.9 (latest RC) that i put on his computer makes his screen turn straight black instead of playing our pretty game.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Shade

Crap, so he already has it? I should've used the "send me the stuff and I'll see if I can work out what's wrong" line instead so I could try it myself then :p Anyway, that'd be Taylor's area... I'm out of my depth once it gets into actual mac specific tweaking.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
we just need to know if he needs a launcher and why the version of 3.6.9 (latest RC) that i put on his computer makes his screen turn straight black instead of playing our pretty game.
What build are you using?

I haven't put out an updated RC for a few releases now, though I did plan to release an 7dot9u OS X build before the weekend was over.

And there is no OS X compatible launcher, so you have to change the settings by hand.

Offline verse

how do I change the settings, and what settings do I change

and as far as the build goes, my Mac is a iMac G5(non-intel) and my graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9600.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
What you need to do is create/edit the file Freespace2/data/cmdline_fso.cfg in your favourite text editor.  Just add whatever options you want to use, like so:

-spec -glow -jpgtga -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Soulstorm

• You really don't want to know!
    • Soulstorm's Personnal Webspace
What you need to do is create/edit the file Freespace2/data/cmdline_fso.cfg in your favourite text editor.  Just add whatever options you want to use, like so:

-spec -glow -jpgtga -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash

Or go here and download the latest Launcher Beta for OS X.
Soulstorm's website -- Articles, Programs, Forums, 3D art, and many more.